AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung 4k Smart Tv and an old Technics SA-EX700 AV control stereo with 5.1 surround sound and I want to be able to get the sound from the TV to play on the sound system connected to the AV control.

Since the audio output of the TV is digital (Toslink connection) and the input from of the ampliphier is analog I had to buy a digital to analog audio converter.

The converter I bought was this one:

And the connections of the Technics SA-EX700 are these:

The converter has 3 3.5mm phone jack inputs (1 front left/front right, 1 surroud left/surround right and 1 subwoofer/something else that I don't know). This will lead to 5 RCA jacks. And my question is: where do exactly I connect them in my amp? Should I connect both front and surround cables in the VCR input and the subwoofer one in the subwoofer input? Is that the right way to connect it? Where will the sixth cable be connected?

·
Premium Member
92,820 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first 3.5mm jack is for the "Center" or "subwoofer."

From the picture you posted, your Technics unfortunately can only take a stereo audio source input. So instead of what you purchased, you simply need the following to convert the signal from the TV to analog, ensuring the TV is set to pass PCM 2.0.
Thanks for your answer but I don't understeand something. My amp is a Dolby Surround AV-Receiver (I actually wrote it wrong on my post) and when I used an old TV with a SCART connection, I used this cable to connect to the TV and I had 5.1 surround: i . imgur . com / 0b2EsiP.jpg

How am I not able to connect this to the converter I bought? Do you know if there is any workaround to it?

·
Premium Member
92,820 Posts
Thanks for your answer but I don't understeand something. My amp is a Dolby Surround AV-Receiver (I actually wrote it wrong on my post) and when I used an old TV with a SCART connection, I used this cable to connect to the TV and I had 5.1 surround: i . imgur . com / 0b2EsiP.jpg

How am I not able to connect this to the converter I bought? Do you know if there is any workaround to it?
The Technics simply takes a stereo 2.0 signal and simulates 5.1 audio, nothing more. Again, unless there is an optical or digital coax connection that you have not shown, it's simply 2.0 in and 5.1 out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Technics simply takes a stereo 2.0 signal and simulates 5.1 audio, nothing more. Again, unless there is an optical or digital coax connection that you have none shown, it's simply 2.0 in and 5.1 out.
For what I understood, the 5.1 surround that my amp outputs is not exactly real surround, right? Instead, a 5.1 simulated surround.

So, if I understood, I don't actually need a digital to analog converter that converts to 5.1 surround. I only need a basic digital to analog converter that only supports 2.1 channels (like the one that you posted says in the description) that the amp deals with the conversion from 2.1 to 5.1. Is that right?

·
Premium Member
92,820 Posts
For what I understood, the 5.1 surround that my amp outputs is not exactly real surround, right? Instead, a 5.1 simulated surround.

So, if I understood, I don't actually need a digital to analog converter that converts to 5.1 surround. I only need a basic digital to analog converter that only supports 2.1 channels (like the one that you posted says in the description) that the amp deals with the conversion from 2.1 to 5.1. Is that right?
Correct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts