AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many folk, my new TV (LG 42PM470T) only has a digital optical output for audio purposes. I have an elderly, but perfectly functional surround system that only has standard RCA phono inputs. (A Sony TA-VE150 amplifier)

I have already bought a digital-analogue converter, but the sound output isn't great. To get a decent volume, I need to turn my amp up to maximum volume (No. 30 on display). On an old analogue input, a volume of 12 would blow your socks off with plenty more in reserve!

Have I simply got the wrong type of digital/analogue converter or is this just what I can expect without buying a new amplifier?

This is the type of converter I have:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I see you are in the UK. What you have the looks like the right item.

I have about the same thing in use for a head phone set. If it's like mine check to see if there is a switch for optical or coax input.

I noticed that your post stated that you used Phono inputs, if thats it move your RCA cables to a CD or Tape input to see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I must confess, I moved the RCA plugs on the amplifier over to the 'DVD' input instead of the TV, and there is a little bit of an improvement! Not as good as it was with a pure analogue input, but better allthesame. Many thanks for the suggestion.

Are you aware of a small amplifier that I could use to boost the analogue signal that comes of the digital-anaologe converter?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yes, there are some, look around E-bay or Amazon. The ones I have seen are way to much. Sony has some very reasonable priced units that have their own volume control. I have been using them for about 10 years. There new unit # for the same I have the, MDR-IK245. In this case the IF is for inferred and this does not work with plasma's. If thats what you have there are RF for radio, that will work with plasma. Just check out wireless or cordless head phone on Google, there are a bunch. What audio video receiver are you using and just where are plugging in the headphones?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108  /t/1471506/digital-to-analogue-audio-query-how-to-do-it#post_23291980

What audio video receiver are you using and just where are plugging in the headphones?

I'm not using headphones? I am plugging the 2 x phono plugs into my elderly surround system, a Sony TA-VE150 amplifier. (The signal is being generated from my TV by the digital/analogue converter highlighted in my original post.) As I said, the issue is that now the volume on my surround amp is now relatively poor - I just now want something to boost the signal into it... Many thanks

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Sugggest you check out a HK 3490 stereo Rx, has a built-in D/A converter plus nice sounding amplifiers..

Assuming the LG display is outputting a PCM stream..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code  /t/1471506/digital-to-analogue-audio-query-how-to-do-it#post_23292540

Sugggest you check out a HK 3490 stereo Rx, has a built-in D/A converter plus nice sounding amplifiers..

Assuming the LG display is outputting a PCM stream..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

Many thanks for the suggestion, that amp you suggested has a price of £450 (around US $700)!! I should have said that I want to use my existing legacy surround system BUT on a budget solution.
The amp I have is perfect for me in every way, in size, really slim, and is fully cabled up to 5 x speakers + active sub woofer. I just need to get a cheap solution to feed it with a stronger analogue signal...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenAVS  /t/1471506/digital-to-analogue-audio-query-how-to-do-it#post_23292094

I'm not using headphones? I am plugging the 2 x phono plugs into my elderly surround system, a Sony TA-VE150 amplifier. (The signal is being generated from my TV by the digital/analogue converter highlighted in my original post.) As I said, the issue is that now the volume on my surround amp is now relatively poor - I just now want something to boost the signal into it... Many thanks

No but I am with a DAC and forgot what the post said. I had one of the old Sonys back in 94/95 may be. Work good until it became out of date.I just have no ides about booting the what I think is called low level line. There is one more thing to look at, that is in the TV menu under setting or audio--digital audio out can be set at dolby or PCM. check that and if its PCM then you are getting it all, if its Dolby Digital switch it to PCM and I bet that makes a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sticking with me! Yes, I've already set the TV to give a PCM output. I have also tried my surround sound amp in all it's different modes, 'dolby', 'simulated', 'surround off' etc - unfortunately all make little difference to the actual volume through my speakers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts