AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a couple TVs that don't have built-in digital tuners so I grabbed 2 of those $40 OFF coupons courtesy of my tax dollars.

Does anyone know of the best (read free or very, very close) to redeem these?

I have Directv now so they are going into the closet, but you never know when you will end with a TV in a room that really doesn't warrant renting another TV provider box.

Apparently, I've got 90 days to act.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You can only use one as credit for a converter box when you buy it. Also the coupons expire 90 days after issue if not used.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, didn't know about the other forum. I will check over there.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15593330

You can only one as credit for a converter box when you buy it. Also the coupons expire 90 days after issue if not used.

not exactly true. a store in my area would accept two coupons for one converter. good deal for them, bad deal for the buyer and probably not within the rules of the plan.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I just can't resist...

So it's all over the news that there's not enough money to pay for these converter boxes-only enough coupons for 40,000,000 of the dang things and I'm wondering how that many people are relying solely on OTA to receive their free broadcasts. Not only that-the 40,000,000 of these things that were essentially given away are not nearly enough to cover all the people clamoring to get them and that we're in crisis mode and should delay the transition because of the millions of people whose tvs are going to go dark.

The only thing I could think of was that people were either hoarding them (for who knows what reason) or were going to resell them to folks who really needed them - ($20 for a coupon to get you $40 off on a decoder box-quite a deal)

I guess it's like most things - if it's free I'll take one, whether I need it or not. (Or whether somebody else might really need it...)

EOR

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I understand that less than half of the coupons issued were used within the 90 days and that new coupons are being issued to replace these un used ones and that the current waiting list is less then the number outstanding that are anticapated to be used in within their 90 day time frame.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm with rockytt. I can't imagine THAT many people still using analog OTA. Most of the places that are remote enough not to have cable will have really crappy OTA reception too. Point is, the snowy picture they are getting now will turn into a completely unwatchable pixelated mess when the changeover takes place. Then they will just have to go to DTV anyway.

Also, I can't help but think that there are millions of idiots out there grabbing these things and then will be calling asking how to hook them up to their cable boxes!!!!

THAT is the most REALISTIC analogy!

BT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a question regarding TV converter boxes. My choices being the Zinwell ZAT-970A vs RCA DTA-800B1. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts