AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are gone from the three WalMarts and three Radio Shacks I went to.

I had to call the Radio Shack order line to use my coupon that was to expire on July 2.

Seems like a lot of coupons are shortly expiring.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalTorque /forum/post/14171254

I had to call the Radio Shack order line to use my coupon that was to expire on July 2.

My local WM sells out their Friday delivery in about 1 hour.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalTorque /forum/post/14171254

What about Best Buy?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
The Portland Oregon area Circuit City stores have a plentiful supply (sometimes hundreds) of April production Zenith DTT900 models on display and more in the "back room." The Portland area Circuit City warehouse has a stockpile of 13,000 DTT901 models (with analog RF pass through) but only a trickle of these are finding their way into the stores until the DTT900 models are sold out. The DTT901 may be "special ordered" at CC Customer Service desks. Bi-Mart stores (Oregon, Washington, Idaho) quickly sell out their small allotments of the Zenith DTT901 models. Some Bi-Mart stores have established "waiting lists." Radio Shack has the Digital Stream DTX9950 in stock but may "special order" the Zenith DTT901. Rite Aid has a few Access HD 1010D models in stock. Best Buy usually has a stock of early production Insignias. (In my area there are twice as many Best Buy stores as Circuit City stores but BB doesn't seem to selling converter boxes in the same kind of volume as CC stores.) WalMart, Target, KMart, Sears, Fred Meyer and Standard TV may or may not have CECBs in stock. I am told that the small Vern Wenger store has the Channel Master 7700.

Within ten miles of my Portland home there are these 97 retail stores that may or may not have converter boxes in stock:

KMart (3), Circuit City (4), Best Buy (7), Rite Aid (16), WalMart (4), Bi-Mart (5), Fred Meyer (21), Target (9), Radio Shack (17), Sears (6), Standard TV & Appliance (3), Ableman TV (1), Vern Wenger (1).

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
All the other stores here are spotty, but CC just keeps getting loads of the Zenith in and selling them all out continuously.

Well, I take that back. BB has had the same load of Insignia's hidden in the back of the store forever. But that's understandable, and probably intentional on their part, because they were always concerned more with selling people on Direct or Comcast. Whenever I've gone in there to ask them about anything pertaining to OTA, they act like they don't know what I'm talking about. But they sure know everything about Comcast or Direct.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
expiring week #coupons issued

5/23/2008 220,809

5/30/2008 619,157

6/6/2008 480,005

6/13/2008 479,981

6/20/2008 859,979

6/27/2008 1,289,878

7/4/2008 1,059,711

7/11/2008 1,031,076

7/18/2008 1,295,724

7/25/2008 1,247,132

8/1/2008 2,010,999

8/8/2008 1,910,421

8/15/2008 806,777

8/22/2008 449,789

8/29/2008 749,692

Note the ramp up of coupons, and the blip for how many were issued for this week's expiration. If supply is still tight, I'd hate to see what the weeks of August 1 and Aug 8 look like.

NTIA has two stats databases that don't match up in time, but retailers have been selling around 566K a week and with 11 million active coupons, there's pressure when supply lines fail or are manipulated.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/14173007

Bi-Mart stores (Oregon, Washington, Idaho) quickly sell out their small allotments of the Zenith DTT901 models. Some Bi-Mart stores have established "waiting lists."

Within ten miles of my Portland home there are these 97 retail stores that may or may not have converter boxes in stock:

KMart (3), Circuit City (4), Best Buy (7), Rite Aid (16), WalMart (4), Bi-Mart (5), Fred Meyer (21), Target (9), Radio Shack (17), Sears (6), Standard TV & Appliance (3), Ableman TV (1), Vern Wenger (1).

The two Bi-Marts in my area had waiting lists but "then 'they' told us we couldn't keep a waiting list any longer. It must be first-come first-serve." I didn't press the clerk who "they" was but I assumed it was her manager.

There are only 16 retailers within 10 miles of my location. For that matter the same 16 are the only ones within 25 miles.

Sears(1), Shopko(2), Best Buy(1), Fred Meyer(1), Radioshack(2), K-Mart(1), Bi-Mart(2), Ride Aid(4), Wal-Mart(1), Target(1)

With the exception of Best Buy, these place usually have nothing in stock when called. The RS does say they will ship to you from their warehouse.

Shopko was added to the list within the last week. When I called one of them the girl didn't have a clue what a converter box was. She didn't even understand what I was talking about when I tried to explain the DTV transition. The clerk at the other Shopko said, "Our manager said we aren't going to carry them." Then *WHY* are you on the list I asked? She just kept repeating "We won't carry them."

·
Registered
659 Posts
These things are smokin' off the shelves. Went to one Des Moines Best Buy on Sat., and they had none left. Gave me a vague non-promise that *maybe* 80 more would be coming in some time next week but they didn't know when.

Just for the heck of it, hit another BB in town that had big stacks of both Insignias and the new Apex 250 the previous Saturday--not a single one left, and none in back.

Maybe there are more OTA viewers than the FCC's estimate of 15-20% of all TV viewers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Plenty of boxes here in southern NH

Walmart has the Maggot boxes

Target has The GE and the Venturer(which i just got)(1 maggot box Fried on me)

CC has the Zenith

BB has Insignia and Apex

All as of yesterday 6/29/08

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv2000 /forum/post/14192549

Plenty of boxes here in southern NH

All as of yesterday 6/29/08

July 1, Central Washington. I called every retailer within 25 miles of my location. Target has "a few of both models". Neither of the ones they sell have pass-through. Fred Meyer has "about 10" of the Philco with pass-through. This is the total stock available to serve a population base of at least 100,000 people.

Every other retailer had none in stock, and didn't know when they'd be getting more.

I have a Philco. It's crap and not an option for my 2nd box, nor for the elderly I'm trying to help. Pass through is essential because we are served by low power translators.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer29 /forum/post/14201905

July 1, Central Washington. I called every retailer within 25 miles of my location. Target has "a few of both models". Neither of the ones they sell have pass-through. Fred Meyer has "about 10" of the Philco with pass-through. This is the total stock available to serve a population base of at least 100,000 people.

Every other retailer had none in stock, and didn't know when they'd be getting more.

I have a Philco. It's crap and not an option for my 2nd box, nor for the elderly I'm trying to help. Pass through is essential because we are served by low power translators.

I have two Zenith DTT901 models with analog pass through. The 901 may be found at or special ordered through Radio Shack and Circuit City stores. Bi-Mart stores have been selling out of these in my area but some Bi-Marts may have 901s in stock or have a waiting list for the next shipment. Bi-Mart stores are located in Cheney, East Wenatchee, Ellensburg, Sunnyside, Walla Walla and Yakima (2 stores). Bi-Mart sells the 901 for $49.99. The other stores have the 901 at $59.99.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/14202316

I have two Zenith DTT901 models with analog pass through. The 901 may be found at or special ordered through Radio Shack and Circuit City stores. Bi-Mart stores have been selling out of these in my area but some Bi-Marts may have 901s in stock or have a waiting list for the next shipment. Bi-Mart stores are located in Cheney, East Wenatchee, Ellensburg, Sunnyside, Walla Walla and Yakima (2 stores). Bi-Mart sells the 901 for $49.99. The other stores have the 901 at $59.99.

July 1 Bi-Mart #1 "We have none in stock. It will be at least two weeks before we get more. Our manager told us to stop keeping a waiting list."

July 1 Bi-Mart #2 "We have none in stock. We only get them about every two weeks." She didn't volunteer about a waiting list as the first store did so I asked. She took my name for the list. I didn't think to ask how far down I was.

July 1 Radio Shack insisted they "can only order the Digital Stream". On the Radio Shack web page the 901 does not show as available at any of our local RS so she was probably right. The 901 does show up in some RS much farther away.

There is no Circuit City in less than 75 miles. There is no 901 on their web page to even use that to locate a store that carries them. But even if I could find them, it's not an option to drive that far to get one except as a last resort.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts