AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
At least their reusing the monies from the expired coupons.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Who didn't see this coming ?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The NTIA's June progress report said they'd run out of money, but that they weren't asking for more yet. They waited too long.

Nielsen reported a major shift in those opting for a converter box. No surprise with the economy, but those planning on a converter box solution rose from 25% to 38.3% from Aug to Nov, and that was reflected in sales. I wish we heard more about total sales, not just coupon-related sales.

When the 7.2 million December coupons are mailed out, what's that going to do to supply? I remember how hard it was to find something in June, when we were at a 600K weekly run rate. Even if those on the wait list get coupons, I bet they have a hard time finding something local.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Never underestimate the ignorance of the masses. The coupon program has been available for over a year and still many have not even requested the coupons (nor even know how, it spite of all of PSB!). I already have six boxes for my elderly relatives and they have been using them for some time now. As the saying goes "you snooze, you lose".

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclement /forum/post/15474476

Never underestimate the ignorance of the masses. The coupon program has been available for over a year and still many have not even requested the coupons (nor even know how, it spite of all of PSB!). I already have six boxes for my elderly relatives and they have been using them for some time now. As the saying goes "you snooze, you lose".

I did the same thing - got my mother-in-law to get her 2 coupons early. Now she has added another TV, but may not be able to get a coupon for another box from a neighbor. At worst - She and her niece that the TV is for will have to pay full price for a CECB. They also will need some acceptable "rabbit ears" antenna for this TV / CECB (this is for the Kansas City area).

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
My neighbor got the two I ordered for them yesterday and dropped them off to me. I put an order in for another client over the weekend. Who knows when they will arrive.

CECB's acquired so far:
APEX: 1 - DT250 & 3 - DT502's
Digital Stream: 2 - DTX9950's
Insignia: 1 - NS-DXA1-APT
RCA: 1 - DTA800B1
Sunkey: 6 - SK-801ATSC's (completely free with coupons)
Ventura: 1 - STB7766G
Zinwell: 1 - ZAT-970A

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dummys everywhere. I sent in for my coupons the day the first stated the program. I asked my kid to do the same. Naturally he didn't since he has cable. So I kept hounding him to do it for me. Finally he did and got two. Put them somewhere, him and his wife moved to new house, lost coupons. He ordered two more with new address. Got those and misplaced them since he thought they could only be used at the stores and by the person that ordered them.

Two neighbors said they would order theirs tomorrow. That was months and months ago. They still say tomorrow for sure. Wonder if they saw the TV news about the coupons.

Friend of mine ordered two for me since they have a dish. Put on a shelf and they eventually expired. Didn't know their was experation dates on them.

OK so what do people do now? Why just pay what the stores are asking and I'm sure they will raise the prices.

What is funny is how many TV stations are still saying all you need to do is order those coupons and get your converter boxes.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
This made the CBS Evening News last night.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/15485756

This made the CBS Evening News last night.

"...Or Congress could approve more money for the program. The NTIA estimates it could distribute up to 56.5 million coupons with an additional $250 million in funding, or up to 60 million coupons with another $330 million in funding."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...e=search_story

(((BAILOUT!!!)))

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yeah, you can get on the list, but the problem is that you won't get your coupons before the 17th of February. Do you think people will just go buy a converter outright without the coupon, knowing full well that a coupon will be on its way in a few weeks? This will be an interesting social experiment.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito /forum/post/15491462

Yeah, you can get on the list, but the problem is that you won't get your coupons before the 17th of February. Do you think people will just go buy a converter outright without the coupon, knowing full well that a coupon will be on its way in a few weeks? This will be an interesting social experiment.

Depends on how badly you need to be able to watch American Idol.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwoom /forum/post/15488228

"...Or Congress could approve more money for the program. The NTIA estimates it could distribute up to 56.5 million coupons with an additional $250 million in funding, or up to 60 million coupons with another $330 million in funding."

(((BAILOUT!!!)))

I said it first in another thread.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Why not just go an even billion ?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Quite honestly all of this would be solved if the the NTIA would just allow retailers to redeem coupons weeks or months after the initial converter purchase. This turns the coupon into more of a rebate than a coupon, and the consumer needs to outlay the $40 up front, but at least they can recoup it and not have an interruption in service. This way the NTIA doesn't have to change any systems or processes or dates for the program, we can proceed with Feb 17th as planned, and we can all get this behind us.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
They will ask for a transition delay.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/15502567

They will ask for a transition delay.

My local news just said "DTV transition in a few months - not so fast says Obama." I'm betting the story will be that will be delaying it. Then people will still slack off and not get coupons then the same thing will happen in six months except next time they will have funds in the program. People are lazy and aren't going to switch until their TV gets turned off.

Edit: here it is:

"Obama urges Congress to postpone DTV transition"
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10137681-38.html

1 - 20 of 40 Posts