AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am listening to a Klipsch 2.1 system through my PC with uncompressed music files. I am considering purchasing a decent receiver and speakers and going digital from the PC to the receiver.

Will I (non-audiophile without audiophile equipment) be able to hear the difference between digital audio out versus analog?

Of course a better receiver and speakers will help but is it worth the investment of say $400 for a receiver and speakers?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid /forum/post/15586758

Right now I am listening to a Klipsch 2.1 system through my PC with uncompressed music files. I am considering purchasing a decent receiver and speakers and going digital from the PC to the receiver.

Will I (non-audiophile without audiophile equipment) be able to hear the difference between digital audio out versus analog?

Of course a better receiver and speakers will help but is it worth the investment of say $400 for a receiver and speakers?
Almost everything you hear starts or at some point is digital and everything you hear is analog. In most cases (and yours for sure) it is better to keep the digital chain digital as long as possible. So hook you PC through S/PDIF to your receiver.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/15587286

Almost everything you hear starts or at some point is digital and everything you hear is analog. In most cases (and yours for sure) it is better to keep the digital chain digital as long as possible. So hook you PC through S/PDIF to your receiver.

Thanks for responding and answering my question. could you provide some advice about these four receivers?

Marantz SR 3001 (poosible te SR4002)

Onkyo TXSR 506

HK AVR 146

Pioneer VSX-818V-K

You said use the S/PDIF out to a receiver so is the sound production the same on all digital receivers? If no, is one of the above do a better job? I'm considering buying one of these and pairing with some decent speakers.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I would worry less about this and more about the sound of the speakers and the capabilities of the receiver. This will be the huge change, not so much changing the output. Although admittedly, the analog outs on most computers are somewhat lackluster with a high noise floor, so digital out is usually always preferred.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid /forum/post/15587348

You said use the S/PDIF out to a receiver so is the sound production the same on all digital receivers?

It's the same arriving at the receiver. From that point forward there are differences having to do with digital processing, the digital to analog converters, and the amplifiers. You can find out more about the AVRs on your list in the Amps & Receivers forum.

As noted by others, speakers will have a lot more to do with the quality of your sound than the receiver.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are several things that determine how your setup will sound, but they're very far from equally important.

Speakers - very, very, very important

Computer sound card - important; a number of good choices, some bad ones available

Properly sized speaker wire - somewhat important

Receiver -a little important, must be adequate to power speakers easily

Digital versus analog - least important

1 - 6 of 6 Posts