AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to post this but here it goes. I am looking to buy a digital video camera that meets my specific needs. This is my criteria

-the ability to output to a computer to incorperate into dvd's

-vid quality because they will be on dvd

-price range $600-1200

-compact,sleek

-takes still photos

I hope someone can help me or direct me to where I should go.

Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
Most of the current MiniDV or Digital8 offerings by Sony, Canon, Panasonic, JVC, Sharp, and others will fit your price and feature requirements. There are still some Hi8 and VHS-C camcorders out there; just avoid them. To start checking specific models and consumer ratings, try PriceGrabber at
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a...b1f15e00f4b66a

You might also check cnet.com

Bear in mind that most camcorders will produce fairly low quality still photos, as they will have CCDs (the picture capturing element) that are designed for the lower resolutions that are standard for video use. Generally, still pictures on camcorders are about equivalent to a one-megapixel digital still camera or so.

One exception that I know of is a Samsung that has separate works for the video and still pictures. Unfortunately, the reviews I have encountered say it does neither very well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Flake you can check ratings of camcorders in your price range on www.consumerssreports.org they are very rigorously tested from image quality to ease of use. I think best are in DV format recording and many good Sony models and Canon's. Sony recently announced they new 3-mega pixels camcorder.

Artur.

·
Registered
15 Posts
and gave the nod to Canon's Optura 20 for image quality, as well as features. A search on CNET shows it to be available in the $555-716 range.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Watch out for the single ccd units. They are notorious for jaggies on oblique lines. Search through rec.video.desktop using groups.google.com. David Reuther gives some very good advice on this forum.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Ollie,

Good advice, but don't forget that the majority of Digital camcorders out there are of the single CCD variety. Also that when you start talking about 3 CCDs, the price for the units rises dramatically and that doesn't fit the mold of what Flake was looking for unless he bought second hand. Typically they are at least above $2000 or more.

Quote:
Bear in mind that most camcorders will produce fairly low quality still photos, as they will have CCDs (the picture capturing element) that are designed for the lower resolutions that are standard for video use. Generally, still pictures on camcorders are about equivalent to a one-megapixel digital still camera or so.
There are models out now and forthcoming from Sony and Canon specifically that are in the 2 MP+ range for stills. Also a lot of the single CCD models are offering larger CCDs which have higher pixel counts for both video and stills and streets for about what Flake is looking for in price.

You can do a comparison at at SonyStyle.com or at Canondv.com
  • The Optura XI has a 1/3.4" CCD (charge coupled device) approx. 2,200,000 pixels (approx. 1,230,000 effective pixels-tape), (approx. 2,000,000 effective pixels-card). $1200
  • The Optura 300 has 1/3.4" CCD (charge coupled device) approx. 200,000 pixels, (approx. 1,230,000 effective pixels-tape), (approx. 2,000,000 effective pixels-card). $1100
  • The Sony TRV70 Imaging Device: 1/3.6", 2110K Gross Pixels, Advanced HADâ„¢ CCD • Video Actual: 1080K Pixels • Still Actual: 1920K Pixels. $1200
  • The Sony TRV80 Imaging Device: 1/3.6", 2110K Gross Pixels, Advanced HADâ„¢ CCD • Video Actual: 1080K Pixels • Still Actual: 1920K Pixels. $1400 (but can be had for less online)

With single CCDs you typically get more resolution on both the video and still side when you go up in price. Mosf of the MiniDV offers sub $1000 are going to offer basic resolution for video (690K) and barely 1MP for stills. If your looking for decent quality for burning DVDs I'd shoot for the $1000 range.

Troy

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
You learn something new everyday! :)

Troy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.