AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all of good information presented in this forum. I have had good results with DVE. Lets be clear when talking about calibration. This disk is only usefull calibrating the device and source input it is connected to. Simply stated a calibrated input for a HD DVD and another source DVD had two very different configurations. Alternatively it is impossible to calibrate the HDMI cable box, or standard HD clear qam signals. So a properly calibrated DVD source shouldn't suggust anything else. Makes the disk sort of a waste of money. Without expensive tools and expertise there is clearly no way to calibrate any other source epecpt by eye and personal preference.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you have the HDNet channel they periodically broadcast test patterns(usually on Saturday morning) and they can be recorded on a dvr for calibration of the cable box input on your tv. I recorded them on my dishnet 722 dvr and was able to get better picture quality from my satellite box.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoman1 /forum/post/15537470

So a properly calibrated DVD source shouldn't suggust anything else. Makes the disk sort of a waste of money. Without expensive tools and expertise there is clearly no way to calibrate any other source epecpt by eye and personal preference.

There doesn't really seem to be any consensus that this is true on the same input. Do you have some reference that this is true for anything other than your specific circumstance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRussell /forum/post/15538594

I recorded [the HDNET test pattern] and was able to get better picture quality from my satellite box.

What did you do? Other than checking overscan I found myself at a loss for what to do with that pattern -- beyond just looking at it and observing that the colors were different and that the gray patchs increased in one direction.

The last line in the text box is amusing though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.