AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are some manufacturers using incompatible design standards for DVI digital video?

(Corrected for accuracy) The DVI Digital Video signal range should be 16-255. with 16-243 of actual visual information being displayed. And the DVI digital computer/PC video standard is 0-255.

If that stands correct. Then DVI equipped Video DVD players should output a signal using the standards of Video 16-255 (again, 16-243 displayable).

Now here comes the issue...

On a HT DVD player like the Bravo D1, it outputs a digital signal range of 16-255. But on HT player like the Samsung 931, outputs 0-255.

Does this PC/Video incompatibility exist in the input design of DVI equipped displays also?

(Editied for accuracy)

·
Registered
824 Posts
In the WSR review of the 931 on p 32 it says:

"The standard DVI-PC levels are 0-255, and the standard DVI-video levels are 16-235. .......The HD931 produces DVI-PC signals(0-255) rather than DVI-video levels(16-235)......."

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read the opposite. And the 931 will not pass 0 level pluge and only outputs 16 black. Anybody know where we can find out the real numbers?

·
Registered
824 Posts
The complete last sentence of the quote was:

"The HD931 produces DVI-PC signals(0-255) rather than DVI-video levels(16-235) and doesn't transport below black PLUGE signals across its DVI interface."

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
I've read the opposite. And the 931 will not pass 0 level pluge and only outputs 16 black. Anybody know where we can find out the real numbers?
I think the problem is that the Samsung takes the 16-235 range that is encoded on the DVD and expands it to 0-255.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Both the new DVE DVD brightness adjustment page and Monsters, Inc. DVD THX optimizer brightness page have below black signals.

My older Sony DVP-S360 shows those blacks while my Panasonic RP-82 doesn't.

Does that mean that my RP-82 or any DVD player which does not show below black signals is also converting to a 0-255 scale?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The question I have is how does this relate to displays? Ideally a display will give you a choice of PC or video DVI input or setup. I noticed in the Sharpvision review of the 10000u in SGHT that they were unable to get the Bravo to display a correct black level as the Bravo was displaying DVI video setup and perhaps the 10000u was only setup for PC DVI input.

This is an issue that needs to be settled because some displays such as the 10000u do not give you any options to change black level or contrast if you use the DVI input. If the player has no settings adjustments on the DVI output (such as the Bravo) then it is impossible to get a usable black level if the output device is feeding DVI video setup and the display device is setup to receive PC DVI.

I think it is correct for a video device to output DVI in the video range but the display device must be able to accept both video and PC DVI input signals to be usable by both video players and computer users.

Which displays are setup to receive both DVI video and PC levels by giving you two different inputs or giving you a choice in a setup menu? If DVD manufacturers are going to use different setups (Bravo>DVI video,Samsung 931>DVI PC) then it seems we need displays that can accept both inputs correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.