AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The digital boys are throwing down the gauntlet. How would we go about a subjective comparison using the forum? I personally think the only way to judge image quality is in person but ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Screen shots mean nothing to me. Its so easy to sharpen and touchup screen shots in Photoshop its just not a very good gauge of picture quality. The real picture is what is important to me. I have seen some digital screen shots that look fantastic. Would I hang one in my theater?... Not right now thank you very much.

Mike

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
crt projectors need no defense

in the pq department

they are simply the best

imaging technology available

for home large screen video projection

as everyone who post here at avs knows

no matter the forum they visit the most

XANATOS

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
How about this-

Challenge them to a close-up test. 3 feet or so from the screen.

See how many takers you get from the digital side of the fence. :D

- David

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Who's the bright guy that though up that? The resulting picture will only be as good as what you and your camera can shoot and the result that shows up on your monitor.

I'm going to start watching all my movies on my monitor.

Deron.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
xanatos, did you wear out your caps lock key again?

Screenshots, yea right, that'll show us. :)

Why do they feel a need to challenge crt's anyway? Frankly who cares who isn't sick of hearing crt vs digital at this point.

Troy

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcCinema
Frankly who cares who isn't sick of hearing crt vs digital at this point.

I second that. I try to avoid those thread but this one I bit on.

Mike

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Go in with submachine guns. Give the digital guys peashooters.

Game over, we win!..:)

Curt

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
The digital boys are throwing down the gauntlet
Sounds like your arguing with a bunch of 17 year olds whos' dads just bought a DLP from Best Buy? :D I can just hear it now, "there's no way your old CRT can beat my dads projector, it's the best dude":p

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Yeah, and dig listening to my Anthrax CD through my mondo Pioneer receiver, my Koss power amplifier coupled to by dual 18" Cerwin Vega bandpass subs, temporarily taken out of my Honda CRX with the ground effects package.

Curt

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Oh wait a minute, I like Anthrax. Make that Justin Timberlake. Or Fi'ty Cen.

Curt

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like your arguing with a bunch of 17 year olds whos' dads just bought a DLP from Best Buy? I can just hear it now, "there's no way your old CRT can beat my dads projector, it's the best dude"
:D :D

Not to crush your 99% true stereotype, BUT, I am a teenager who's dad just bough me a BG808(thanks curt!). :D :D

And I am building quite the audiophile system(yes I am designing the room too, very important!) indeed, no boomy bass for me thank you very much.

Although, I will admit to "bumping it" in my lil old 89 volvo, that has a custom-installed no-brand Volvo "SYSTEM" (includes a DELUXE volvo-EQ :D ). The speakers bottom out on NPR....

:) ;)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisWiggles
:D :D

Not to crush your 99% true stereotype, BUT, I am a teenager who's dad just bough me a BG808(thanks curt!). :D :D
I'm jealous!

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Sheesh, my dad bought me a carton of smokes once...

:)

Just kidding... But I had to earn anything I got after 16.

Troy

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Some of you guys really need to get a life. Seriously.

--Jerome

·
Registered
337 Posts
Screenshots, naaaah...

What abot a study with a design as follows: Two almost identical hometheatersetups with as much variables controlled as possible; screen size, image footlamberts, same sound setups..same source (DVD??), same movies. The only factor differing, and the one to be examnied, the construction of the projector; CRT or digital. The discussion about what equipment to use here could be infinite...

A large group of subjects, homogenous in age,sex, cinematic experience and so on. I would just guess 500 would be required to show any kind of statistical significance that is greater than pure chance. These subjects are randomly selected for a A and B group.

The A and B groups are each shown a different order of the same movies on two different "schedules" of showings ( A: 1.CRT 2.digital...B: 1.digital, 2.CRT....). This to try to eliminate effects of "first HT experience". A and B groups are checked for statistical differences in distribution of age, sex movieexperience...they should be equal.

Now, all subjects would rate the movies for picture quality and maybe something more...

Some kind of staistical test is run on the ratings from the subjects...I think a simple t-test should make it, I forgot my statistics....Just thinking. The problem would of course be to find subjects and build two almost identical HT setups...But the study should be somewhat more controlled for influencing variables than lets say the Coca-cola vs Pepsi study. Maybe Barco would wanna sponsor.......

Thomas

·
Registered
275 Posts
Finally, a reasonable response in this thread! Thank you ThomasW!

I own a CRT projector and from what I've seen of digital I don't regret my purchase at all. But I am dissappointed by the attitude that CRT produces a non-quantifiably superior picture. There may be a billion variables between systems, but the output does have some finite and measurable qualities. I, for one, would love to have some reputable information to point friends to when they ask me what they should consider when building a home theater.

I'm not sure this forum has the resources to marshall a full study as Thomas has suggested though. But I'm not sure I heard a good argument against the idea of close-up screen shots. Shoot, 10 years ago many of the ads for direct-view televisions had a close-up picture of the phosphor mask (remember pana-black?) It may be an after-effect of having built a home theater, but now every time I watch a movie (no matter where it is being screened) there are some specific details that I watch for (black level, shadow detail, screen door, scaling artifacts... etc.) What would be so bad about having a web page that had close-up photos showing what these details look like?

Same movie frame, same area of close-up, same screen-type, same camera taking the picture... etc... different projectors.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Whack, whack, damn horse! whack...I think its dead... Nope whack, whack whack.. Oh wait yes the horse was already dead. Whack whack...Whack.

cmon, it's dead, let it rest in peace.

Why are so many still trying to bring this up? If you can even afford a digital that can come close to a top crt, then you can surely afford to try them both. There is NO digital anywhere NEAR the same price point that even comes CLOSE to giving a really GOOD crt even a RUN for it's money.

Don't most ht magazines still compare all projectors to the likes of a xg135lc? I think they do.

Are there some great digitals, sure, if you don't count the price tag, life span, bulb cost, and drawbacks.

Why does Barco's new slogan say "CRT Forever"? I think they might know a thing or two.

It is to almost nobodys advantage to pay for or set uo the demo you speak of yet to this day.

Can you be happy with either? You bet. Which is better is still no contset and it's printed in magazines and articles and on barco's site. It's the digital folks asking for a comparison, because yes they are getting close, but still not in the same league.

Picture quality alone is not at all the only issue, and most issues don't show in screenshots.

Can we put a ban on all digital vs crt threads? Maybe a forum just for that that these threads all have to go to?

Troy

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Please close this thread. Your right the horse is dead, dead, dead and not leaving the gate. What was I thinking? Please shoot me after you bury this. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
466 Posts
How many of us have both?

I have a 701s and a LCD. and while i only use the LCD for presentations and Movie rooms at SF Conventions... I could set it up to shoot the same source to the same screen, take pictures of the result with the same camera, locked to the same tripod with the same aperture and exposure... However, neither of my projectors are "state of the art"

But the cost vs quality is pretty big...

Barco 701s $550 with almost new tubes

View-Sonic PJ550 1999.00 New

PJ I prefer for movies... Barco, Hands down.

Josh

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.