AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw 2 movies on Bluray - Apocalypto and Before the Devils Knows You're Dead, both of which were shot digitally.

The question is, are most digitally acquired movie blurays transfered from the Film transfer, or from the 2K master that was used to strike the film transfer?

I didn't see film grain in each of these films - which made me suspect they were from the 2K master.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would guess that almost all are taken from the 2K master, since doing another transfer from film would look worse and cost more.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
28 Days Later was shot mostly on DV cams but the HD master comes from a film source, probably to accomodate the 35mm end sequence.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/14227023

28 Days Later was shot mostly on DV cams but the HD master comes from a film source, probably to accomodate the 35mm end sequence.

Which, IMO, makes the Blu-ray pretty much worthless. I've got the DVD, and since the master was no higher resolution, that'll suit me fine.

Anyhoo, I think most are done from the original digital files. It's just easier.. digital->digital, no intermediate needed. Especially on CGI films.. eye candy galore on the Pixar films, for example.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 /forum/post/14227900

Which, IMO, makes the Blu-ray pretty much worthless. I've got the DVD, and since the master was no higher resolution, that'll suit me fine.

The titles, the credits and the end sequence are all in HD res. The sound is also a big step over the dvd audio.

I'd actually bet that the DV footage looks better on the Blu-ray than the dvd because the HD version actually resolves the scanlines and other video artifacts better than the downconverted dvd.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
^It does look a wee bit better, but you have to look very, very close.

Anyone hoping to upgrade from DVD were disappointed to hell (considering the $$ involved).

The audio was better, however, movies are primarily visual; I don't know anybody that buys DVDs or BDs and doesn't watch the video.

Unless, of course, if someone was visually impaired...in which case....

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/14228385

I'd actually bet that the DV footage looks better on the Blu-ray than the dvd because the HD version actually resolves the scanlines and other video artifacts better than the downconverted dvd.

What scanlines? They shoot the movie in 25F mode not 50i mode.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I somehow remembered the actual movie having scalines but only the opening news montage has them, and they're big enough to notice in SD.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 /forum/post/14227900

DV compression is much less severe -- much less lossy -- than DVD compression. An hour of DV footage is 13GB.

A well-authored DVD from a DV master should look nearly perfect, you're right. But a BD could easily hold the entire movie in raw DV format, and that's worth something (assuming the movie itself is worth anything!).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hadn't had a chance to check out this thread since I started it.

Nice of Benjamin to confirm my thought that Apocalypto was from digital files.

I know in the old days of digitally shot film releases (HD or SD) - usually the DVD transfer came from film. The film gave the S shaped gamma curve that film has over video, added grain, and made it progressive (film out houses actually made it progressive before video to film transfer) I can remember seeing a number of these early film and inthe maing of they would show scenes from raw interlaced video - a huge difference to the final product seen in the DVD.

Obviously now the progressive images shot by the cameras look cinematic already.

I think it would be interesting to have a database of what the bluray masters from each release are being struck from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts