AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put a couple of HTPC type machines together, looks are quite importand, but so is cool and quiet.

All of my good A/V gear that generates heat (receivers, amps, etc.) has cases that have grids of holes or slits in the top to make maximum use of convection (hot air rising, and all that :) ) and only resorting to fans, etc when necessary.

Why aren't cases that are made for this purpose like the DIGN designed to give me the maximum cooling naturally, then I can start with the Zalman coolers, Papst fans, etc. as needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Most likely because it is easier for the owner insert air holes than it is to revove them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
gooki,

funny

want1394,

also, the more holes in a case the more noise from a case. if an amplifier is designed with properly sized heat sinks, it requires no fans (look at the huge parasound 3500 as an example). can you imagine the size of the heat sinks it would require to cool the power supply, the cpu, the gpu, and the 7200rpm hardrives without fans? some EE on this board should figure out the watts and dissipation. maybe it could be done.

some overclockers, using water cooling, actually run the heat sink and fan outside of the house. they connect the cpu, gpu and power supply all to one cooling system. no noise except the HDs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.