AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to bother you all again with such a question, but I was sparked when I looked at an old thread with pictures of the sanyo 21p and a DILA G11.

I would use search, but, I admit, I have no time, and am impatient for answers http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

So, what is the consensus on DILA black level? Is it similar to DLP? Better, or worse? Just curious, because I saw the Seleco HT200, and I thought it's black level was just OK. As I have said before, if you can cast a shadow on your screen when the image is supposed to be black, well then, you have no black level (hehehe).

Any knowledgeable and experienced answers would be appreciated.

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

· Registered
755 Posts
Hi David,

The D-ILA blacks are on par with DLP's and film and better than LCD projectors. However, you won't have deep inky blacks like on a direct view CRT monitor. Yes, a hand will still cast a shadow as if illuminated by pale moonlight. A GrayHawk screen significantly improves the depth, contrast and perception of "black" in the image.

Cheers,

Dave.

· Registered
4,580 Posts
Hi David,

I think we need to distinguish between absolute black level (the light on the screen when showing a 0 IRE pattern for example) and contrast. Many digital projectors acheive a high contrast ratio by having extremely bright whites. I have compared 35mm film to digital projection on the same screen and I would say that depending on the print quality, film has a much better absolute black level, along with better shadow detail. I don't believe D-ILA's have better blacks than DLP, in general. I don't doubt that a well calibrated D-ILA can have an excellent contrast ratio that may or may not surpass many DLP's, but that's not quite what you asked.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larry,

I thought that when I said Black Level, it would be known that I am talking about the absolute black level. This is what David Panko was referring to, I believe.

Though for anyone reading this post now: it is ABSOLUTE BLACK LEVEL.

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.