AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using my G1000 (Proxima SX1) and Crystal image for over 1 year now without a hitch. Recently, I noticed faint red and green trailings during certain scenes while watching DVD. While I cannot 'paint' you a picture with words, the 'distortion' seems like it coincides with the action. It is not present in every scene, but certainly distracts when it appears. I am using a line conditioner and some pretty high end VGA to BNC BetterCables.com cabling. Any suggestions? Has anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have never seen what you are describing, but you may be dealing with any number of issues?

Is it limited to one source? (if you use an external switcher or pre/pro to feed the scaler, connect sources directly to implicate them)

Have you change any setting on the D-ILA recently? Change to a different source resolution?

Is this problem present on all inputs of the Scaler?

Is this problem unique to one input of the projector?

Did the CI ouptut resolution or settings change as a result of another user or a power outage?

Does the pass throught of the CI pass a clean image?

Sorry to anwswer your question with questions, but this is just a few of the questions I would ask.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,

Thanks for the reply. I have not changed anything. I use only 1 source - DVD. I will try using the CI's pass through to see if there is any distortion. I could probably also try the DVD directly to the projector, but then I am not really comparing apple to apples with the change in resolution, or am I?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
That's funny (well not really) but I think I am seeing all of a sudden the SAME thing with my C.I. and G1000 combo. Purchased the scaler in January this year and had never seen this until the last two DVD movies I watched in the past week. I happen to live within driving distance of the mfg / service facility in Chatsworth, CA and was actually over there today with the unit for a couple of reasons. One was that I had inadvertantly screwed it up by getting the power "auto on" function activated and then not realizing I was continuously resetting the unit to factory presets that were not my normal outputs when I would hold the power button on manually for a couple of seconds trying to use it. The nice person there at Audio Video Source, Inc. squared me away on it while I waited and even plugged in the latest software chip....5.6 or something.

However, at it seems exactly the same time as these problems started with me and the unit around a week ago, I also began noticing what you are describing on DVD playback, either with component or Y/C input from the player. And it IS hard to describe.....kind of horizontal faintly colored ghosting or trailing, as you described it, the full width of the image, cued from movements of people usually, only on certain scenes. I also mentioned this to the technician but we didn't set it up and try to duplicate with a DVD player, both of us assuming that I had been the source of any of the recent odd behviour, with the power button / resetting thing.

I watched the Lakers tonight with Y/C input from the cable box, and the picture was normal on the video based source. But at halftime I cruised with the channel remote through some of the standard digital HBO channels, and when the source became film based there were the horizontal ghosting artifacts again.

ppiazza, at least you and I seem to be looking at the same (all of a sudden) odd thing. Do you also not see it with video sourced material? Looks like I may be driving back to the service dept. with my DVD player to have them take a look at this issue specifically if I can't find a solution myself.

Anyone else have an idea what might be going on here with the film based source horizontal ghosting or trailing? I have the film auto detect mode set "on".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron,

I appreciate the info. It does seem that you and I are experiencing the same thing. Unfortunately, my home theater is in the basement and I do not have my satellite running there. I will hook up my Sega system and see how the projector and scaler due with NFL Blitz. At least you live near their service center. Please keep me updated on your progress. I will try to contact Dean McManis as he is far more knowledgeable than I am and just a stones throw away.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.