AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting the finishing touches on my custom theater room and had a quick question for you all regarding a good setting for the evacuation fan for the projector.

The G15's hush box has a rather massive (per Dennis Erskine's spec) vent fan. The fan is thermostat controlled and I was wondering what would be the optimum temperature to set the thermostat to. Would 100 degrees be appropriate? Perhaps a higher/lower temperature? (I want to keep the G15 appropriately cooled, but don't want the fan running when it doesn't have to.)

Thanks!

-greg

·
Registered
221 Posts
Where are you measuring the temperature - exhaust or intake?

Per the specifications, on my G11 (dunno if the G15 is the same), temperature should not exceed 95 degrees. Per a post by Tom Stites a year or so ago on this subject (still in archives, last I checked), a significantly lower temperature is preferred, as cooler is better for life of electronics.

In my case, I have my hushboxes for my two G11s divided into intake (cool) and exhaust (hot) sides. My intake and exhaust fans turn on automatically when the PJ turns on. Depending on the temperature in my dedicated HT, the air temperature on the intake side is generally between 76 degrees and 80 degrees. My other hushbox, in the master bedroom, is much smaller, and it runs on the intake side from 78 degrees to 82 degrees.

My temperature alarms on the intake sides sound at around 85 or 86 degrees .

The exhaust side, which I monitor as well, but don't have alarms set for, runs in the mid 90s.

Hope this helps.

Marcel

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcel J. Dumeny
Where are you measuring the temperature - exhaust or intake?

Per the specifications, on my G11 (dunno if the G15 is the same), temperature should not exceed 95 degrees. Per a post by Tom Stiles a year or so ago on this subject (still in archives, last I checked), a significantly lower temperature is preferred, as cooler is better for life of electronics.
Let me second Marcel's answer.

JVC warns not to let the temperature exceed 95 degrees.

Tom Stites suggested a temperature of about 84 degrees, if memory serves.

However, Tom stated that, "..heat is the enemy of all things D-ILA". The electronics and D-ILA chips will last longer

the lower the temperature.

So keep the D-ILA as cool as you can - don't skimp on the air flow.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.