AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of laying out the location of the screen and projector in my new room. I anticipate projecting from about 18.5' on a 104" x 57"(16:9)screen. Can someone advise me as to what the size of the halo will be around the screen. Projector will DILA type. Model not determined as yet, but will be G15 or better. Waiting for Infocom.

Tony C

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Tony,

I don't know that you could actually go up to the screen and "measure" the halo from a projector, as it fades out.

If you are interested in knowing how much masking to use, 10" should cover it fine with room to spare.

I use a different technique, where I back-light the screen itself. The drama is wonderful, but the real reason I did it is so you can't see any sort of halo outside the screen area at all. It also makes the black level of the D-ILA appear really dark, since it is much lower than the back-lighting.

Just an idea...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I can always depend on you for a straightforward answer. I have a proscenium that is about 12" above the screen. I just don't want the halo hitting the proscenium since it will not be black. Worst case, I'll have to mask the top of the lens.

Tony C

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Tony,

I placed a "halo blocker" around my lens. I took a piece of paper, folded it, and ran a black magic marker over it. Because I'm using a fixed lens (no zooming), the "blocker" never needed to be moved. I didn't notice any effect on the image, other than the area around my screen was pitch black. You could also create "blockers" for various aspect ratios. This is what's done in movie theaters where "aperture plates" are used to mask film to the proper aspect ratio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.