AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently entered the DILA world purchasing a pre-owned (but calibrated) G-1000. I've got it set up firing on a blank wall right now till I get some of my screen issues worked out (perfed vs. non-perfed). I have a very nice 16:9 HD image from my DISH 6000 through the component video input centered where my screen should be. I am in the process of acquiring an HTPC but in the mean time have tried running a non progressive scan DVD player through this same component input. When I do, the image shifts up probably 6" or so. I've also got some aspect ratio issues but the image shift is what is really bothering me. Does anybody know why this might be happening using the same input?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I would guess that the 16:9 switch is engaged on the HD source of the component input while the 480i source does not have the 16:9 switch engaged. Just a guess though.

Were you projecting a 16:9 enhanced disk with the DVD player set to output to a 16:9 monitor?

Also check the vertical positioning feature of the projector?

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don:

I've tried setting the 480i device to 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 pan/scan, and 16:9 widescreen. I've sent it material from 4:3 to 16:9 and even some 2.35. Since I'm still pretty new to this game, I'm not sure about setting the pj to 4:3 or 16:9. I just know that the DISH 6000 is centered nicely and the DVD player shifts up about 6".

I'll try to figure out how to set the input from 16:9 to 4:3 but I thought that outputting the DVD player to 16:9 should have taken care of that.

Thanks for your help regarding this matter.

John

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some additional information to add to my situation.

The projector I purchased was running DILARD and the HD image on the component video input was shifted down approximately 8". This corresponds to what I have been seeing with the DISH6000 input. Now my confusion (and I do not currently own or use DILARD but will soon) is - why doesn't this shift apply to all the signals on that input whether they are HD, NTSC or such?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Just a hint. To take advantage of the improved vertical resolution of enhanced 16:9, enhanced for widescreen TVs, or "anamorphically enhanced" disks set the player to output to a 16:9/widescreen monitor and never change it. Your letterboxed and standard 4:3 material will play perfectly. A good DVD player for unit left in the 16:9 mode with a 16:9 screen, is one that provides the ability center the 4:3 image in the middle of a 16:9 screen, and zoom the letterboxed material to fill the full width of the screen.

The panasonic RP91 is model that performs these functions.

If you hit the menu/enter button on the remote is will bring up the main menu.

From the main menu use the navigation button to go down to "options", from the options menu select "screen aspect". It will allow you to change from 4:3 to 16:9.

Good luck.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been temporarily running my htpc on the computer 1 vga input on my dila. On the Options section I can not make the aspect ratio change from 4:3 to 16:9. Is this because it is a dedicated pc input (all pc's I've ever used are 4:3 displays)? If this is so do I need to get a vga to bnc5 breakout cable?

Also my D-iLA has always exhibited a green cast to the entire picture that is very noticeable in low light scenes and hardly noticeable at all during outside daylight scenes. I can not figure how to get this out, any suggestions? I can handle grayish black but not greenish black!

John

·
Registered
707 Posts
Your DILA projector needs to either have the static shading adjusted to eliminate the Green cast imparted to the picture at the bottom-end or have the 1/4 waveplates adjusted properly (or both). I have found that the majority of the DILA projectors 1/4 waveplates are out of adjustment and as a result the projector has both reduced Black level performance and poor contrast ratio. The 1/4 waveplate adjustment can be corrected easily but will then require a complete re-shading of the projector. The shading procedure requires the JVC factory software and is not something that you will be able to accomplish yourself at this time.

The 1/4 waveplate adjustment is not difficult to perform but to do so properly requires a light meter to be able to accurately monitor your adjustments. This procedure needs to be performed prior to any other calibrations as they will then be altered to some degree. There are no menu controlled features that will allow you to correct the picture quality issues that you are viewing!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for that reply. So what I'm seeing is not uncommon. How do you get JVC to do the adjustment? My unit is a Proxima and I'm guessing that they are not up on the D-ilas since they only sold a few prior to their arrangement with JVC ending. I would want to send my unit to someone at JVC that I knew could do the job and do it right the first time. Any leads on who to send my projector to in order to get this done correctly?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
For a second opinion...I respectfully disagree with the above diagnosis.

You mentioned:
  • Your *entire picture* has the greenish tint.
  • ...but only on low IRE (dark) scenes

Since it is the entire picture, it does not sound like a shading issue. Most Shading problems are localized to one part of the image.

If your gray scale tends towards green only on the low end (towards black), it sounds like a gray scale tracking issue and would be fixed by measuring and recalibrating the gamma look-up table.

It doesn't sound like a quarter wave plate or shading issue to me, but a gamma table issue where the low end tends towards green.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.