AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my appetite whetted for the panamorph which I am expecting this week. That means that I will be able to use the full 1360x1024 pixels of my G15 to see anamorphic DVDs. (Currently, WinDVD isset to lock aspect ratio so I only use 1360x768) But my concern lies with the tearing phenomenon discussed last year.

============================================================

When the D-ILA is set to display 1080i in 4:3 mode, the scaler logic has an overflow problem, which leads to the bottom ~1 foot of the image having a mismatched field: in other words, along this line and below, the information which is displayed is from the wrong field of the incoming video. On still scenes, you might not notice the problem, but as soon as objects start moving, you'll see a very strange interlace artifact that looks as though the image were "torn". It becomes most apparent during scene changes, where the bottom and the top of the screen change to the new scene at different times!

To correct for this, I've developed a modification which properly aligns the video on the top and the bottom of the panel, but doing so required some very strange scaler parameters (I essentially had to move the overflow problem off of the screen). As a consequence of the D-ILA's internal scaler limitations, this mod will only work in 4:3 (but you can always uninstall it to get back to conventional 16:9 1080i display).

With this modification, I'm quite pleased with the 1080i display quality of the D-ILA using anamorphic adapters. Using high-quality signal sources such as 1080i from an HTPC, it is clear that the D-ILA displays more information in this mode than it can in 16:9. With DirecTV's 1080i signals, you might not notice an improvement (other than brightness), since their channels ae heavily filtered vertically to reduce bandwidth. With good over-the-air 1080i, however, the improvement in resolution is noticeable.

In the case of the ISCO anamorphic lens adapter, the mod is available free for the asking (just email me). Once the Panamorph adapter is available, I'll develop a similar modification, which will also be free.

============================================================

The text above is from a post by MF a year ago. Can DILARD solve this problem? I still see it in HDTV.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Stefan,

Just thought I'd let you know that if you get this free mod. from Humey but can't get a hold of the program that executes it, the Image Geometry Wizard opens those .DLA files natively (Just like Word opens WordPerfect files).

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know in case you wish to open the file with the Dilard Image Geometry Wizard instead. The Wizard allows further tweaking of the file, if desired. For instance, if the ISCO stretch correction is in the mod, you will probably want to remove that.

I suppose that it's not improper to suggest this. It's a free file, and Dilard opens them natively, so I suppose the suggestion is not out of line. Just trying to make things easier for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Using a Dish Sat. to feed my G11, I get a colored artifact on some channels at the top of the screen. It looks like a color band about 1" thick. Also,HD channels don't fill the screen. Would this mod fix these problems? Would Dilard? Does anyone else have these issues?

------------------

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Humey,

Any chance you can email that to me as well?

Thanks Very Much

Larry

[email protected]

emailed you as well per your preference...thst I didn't read earlier

------------------

G15 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

NHT, velodyne & bag end speaker systems

[This message has been edited by videohot (edited 08-07-2001).]

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Yes sure has...he at first offered to send me pics of the families vacation in Las Vegas then sent me the file http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I'm not sure which was more of a kind act...the file or the absence of the pics. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Larry

------------------

G15 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

NHT, velodyne & bag end speaker systems

[This message has been edited by videohot (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Humey, Milori,

I have a suggestion for the benefit of all Panamorph/Dilard owners: Could you, Humey, send the Mod to Milori, and could you, Milori, add a modified 1080i Dilard mod file on your site based on this mod?

That would solve the problem for everybody, and prevent Humey from being bothered by hundreds of Pananorph/Dilard potential users!

Thanks in advance.

------------------

Robert

[This message has been edited by robena (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I guess he forgot me. Would you be so kind as to forward the file to me ( sans pics of Vegas ). I will dutifully 'pay it forward' to the next fellow who wants it.

Stefan

[email protected]

PS: Pay It Forward is a great film, awesome transfer, and good sound too.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Robert,

I don't mind if someone uploads the mod. to Dilard.com. That would be fine. However, I don't want to receive the file myself, as there is some 'history' involved.

From what I understand, the program that originally 'executed' these files is copyrighted, but the files themselves are not (they are just log files from another unrelated application). Dilard understands these .DLA log files, but knows nothing about the application that executes them.

I would simply prefer to stay away from this file and others like it. I do not know which of these files are "free" and which are copyrighted (if any) and if log files from another application can even BE copyrighted.

I'm not going to get involved, but feel free to use the site as a distribution vehicle for Dilard mods. That is why it is there, and I encourage it. All Dilard mods are 100% free for the taking, just so there is no question about that.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Milori,

Aside from THAT mod. Is there another way to use dilard to stop the tearing at the bottom 1 foot of the screen?

Could you point the way to the appropriate settings? Thanks.

Stefan

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I tried upload to the Dilard website, but I was informed that since the upload is a zip file, it would not accept it.

So unless Mark tells me how to upload it, we are all out of luck.

However, please send your requests to me at [email protected] and I will send each and everyone a copy.

Hey Larry, since you dont want to see my family Las Vegas vacation pictures, I want you send me back the mod. Ok forget it, but when I develop my San Diego pictures, you will be the first one to see them.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Hi Mark,

Quote:
I don't mind if someone uploads the mod. to Dilard.com.
I have asked Humey for the file. Once I get it, and my Panamorph, I'll see if I need it with my projector. If I do, I will use DILARD and upload the derived DILARD mod on your site.

But I am not one of the early buyers, so somebody else could do it before me.

------------------

Robert

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'll be watchig Three Kings tonight on HBOHD with my Panamorphed G11. I think I may have modded the HDTV on Comp2 to work with the tearing issue. I've asked Humey for a copy of his file as well to compare. One way or another, one of us should be able to upload to the Dilard website. My current situation is however, a table mounted Pj, so the positioning numbers will be off for an inverted mount.

Chris

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Its been my pleasure in sending out the mods to everyone who needs it. My question is, how is it possible that I am the only one that got the mod from Mark Foster? He actually sent it to me about 1 month before he signed off.

I keep thinking, wouldnt it be great if everyone who asked me for a copy would send me a dollar. Oh well. One can always dream.

If anyone else needs it, please feel free in bothering, i mean in contacting me at [email protected] Of course its free.

Daniel

Impatiently waiting for my new girlfriend Leeza

[This message has been edited by Humey (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Humey:

I keep thinking, wouldnt it be great if everyone who asked me for a copy would send me a dollar. Oh well. One can always dream.

If anyone else needs it, please feel free in bothering, i mean in contacting me at [email protected] Of course its free.

I would be happy to send you AND Mark Foster appropriate compensation. What are the paypal account numbers?

Stefan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.