AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to buy an HDTV by this Xmas. I am reluctant to chance the headache/rainbow issues with DLP (I haven't seen rainbows, but I do notice eyestrain while watching DLPs in store), so I'm probably going for LCD/DILA. I'd like to call on the collective wisdom of the group on a few questions.

1. First, for those of you who own LCD RPTVs, especially the GWIII and GWIVs, are the problems with the lamp/ballast/buzz essentially resolved? I know there are always going to be occasional cases where things go wrong, but it seems that this issue has basically resolved itself (in contrast, say, to a year ago, where there were tons of threads complaining about (a) the problem; and (b) Sony's unresponsiveness). Am I way off base here?

2. It seems the "where to put the center speaker?" issue has been a constant problem. What has been your solution to this issue? Do any of the LCD/DILAs allow you to use the unit's speakers as the center speaker on a 5.1 setup?

3. Any general thoughts on which LCD/DILA to get/avoid? I'm a bit concerned about the problems noted with the JVC. Also, I don't see much buzz on the Hitachi -- anyone own one and have comments?

P.S. DLP advocates needn't tell me about the great black levels, etc. I appreciate the good points of DLP, just not willing to risk the downsides.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The manual on my 52" states that you can set the speakers on the tv to serve as the center speaker. You can change the size configuration just like you can on a normal receiver.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Hitachi 60v500. You can use the speakers as a center channel. As far as comments, it so far has been very reliable and at times has an excellent picture(hdtv). At other times, the picture can be poor(standard def). I have found 720p is the best for my tastes. I like the fact that it has a wide, bright viewing angle and no worry of burn in. I also like the styling and the fact that they(lcd,dlp) are light weight.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great set, but no go for the center channel if you have quality sound gear. I was hoping it was going to work our, but Like the others am now looking ofr a stand solution that will hold my HT center and the D ILA.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
salaryman, unless you absolutely have to use the TV built-in speakers as Center Channel, I would advise to use a separate dedicated speaker which must be sonically matched to at least your FL and FR speakers, ideally to all other channels as well. You don't want to notice tonal differences when the sound effects will be going from channel to channel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.