AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that my G11 is in a hushbox, does this change how often you should clean the filter and how often should you clean the filter?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
This reminds me of one time when I was back in college. I went over to my friends house one day (bunch of guys lived there) and their vacuum cleaner was sitting next to the front door. I sat down, had a few beers and watched the tube, then of course my curiosity finally got the best of me. I say "hey why is the vacuum cleaner out sitting next to the front door?" One says, "it doesn't work anymore so we are taking it to the repairman". Of course I couldn't resist this opportunity, so I sprang from the couch and ran to the cleaner. By the time I got there I'm asking questions..."what's broken?" the reply "well it runs but it doesn't pick anything up anymore. The first place I decide to look was to unzip the bagging area and see what's going on. Huh? the inner bag seams to be full. I say "have you tried a new bag? this one appears to be full" Blank stares throughout the room then "replace the bag?" yes, put in an new bag to catch the new stuff. Well you know the rest of the story...

Moral of the story....

Have you looked at your filter?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tryg,

You know what the most amazing part of your story was?

The fact that a bunch of college boys\\men even had a vacuum cleaner in their house.

Actually I know the filter is clean because it machine was calibrated by Mr. Phelps recently, and not only did he clean out the filter, but I check it not knowing they had too. My question is, how long should I wait

·
Registered
755 Posts
Do you have a filter at the intake of your hushbox? If the projector is breathing clean air then its filter should be ok, you'll only need to clean the hushbox filter.

How often you clean it depends on how dusty the room is and how many hours you put on the projector. I'm guessing every six months should be enough.

I have easy access to my D-ILA so once a month I usually run the vacuum cleaner over the intake vent. After two years I finally changed the bulb and the filter was still clean. If you do the same with your hushbox filter it should be fine.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David

Thanks for the response. I have the Whisperflow box so it doesnt have a filter at the intake. Being that I would have to remove the projector out of the box for cleaning, I would like keep the cleaning to a minimum, but I know its important to do so.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Two things:

1) if you are running a hush box with fan forced cooling, please add a filter. The filter that comes with the projector is really not enough by itself. You don't want a dust blub in your optics, it's expensive to fix.

2) I would not run a vacuum over the intake filter. I think there is too much risk of knocking some dust loose and it ending up inside the projector. The filter should be removed and rinsed or perhaps even washed (Windex works well), then allowed to dry completely before putting it back.

William

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Hi Dan,

The new WhisperFlow II Projector Hushbox has filters available for smoke and dust. If you have the WhisperFlow I hushbox, please feel free to call me. All the best with your home theaters.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.