AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DILA + Panamorph = A picture as smooth as a baby's behind.

DILA + Panamorph + Dilard Color + Dilard Black Level = CRT's go bye bye.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Bob,

Congradulations!! That's good news!

You're the first to demonstrate that the combination of

HT products that we've had high hopes for, namely:

D-ILA, Panamorph, and DILARD - really does give

high quality HT.

I recall from your previous posts that your home theater

used to be based on CRTs. If you feel that the above combo

can approximate or even best a CRT system - then that is

good news indeed. [ We need some. ]

Greg

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
"DILA + Panamorph + Dilard Color + Dilard Black Level = CRT's go bye bye."

At least on the side of a wall with a 25 ft wide image with Canadian whiskey on Labor Day. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Chris

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey, this is coming from the guy who can't tell the difference between s-video and progressive on the lt-150. . . .

. . . . and who parks his pickup with the windows open and said projector in the front seat.

I used to live in a neighborhood where that was ok. . . . then there was MTV.

Kelly

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know I was trying to put the little LT150 out of my mind here because it's supposed to take a back seat to DILA.

But it don't. Check this one out. Man those fins and that movie picture. He's one talented photographer. He's making me a big oversized print of this one. Gonna frame it and put it on the wall of my little home theater. http://members.home.net/bobwood21/FINS.JPG

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Dillard?

Having been sick to death of these CRT dinosaurs (hopefully the comet will strike soon) I too am looking to get a D-ILA or DLP projector...

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks for the warm introduction! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Leica Man, you can find out about what the product is at www.dilard.com, and can find out more with a search here (at the top of this page).

Those folks at CEDIA will probably get the first look, just because Tom Strade has all of the hardware already. However, the Beta begins right after this pre-order stuff is over (and other folks have the hardware and software).

Bob, as the winner of the "Name the App" contest, you have a full version of Colorfacts coming, anyway. That will give you the hardware for the Dilard calibration with no out-of-pocket expenses at all! Hopefully, it proves the validity of your subject line...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Milori,

Thanks for the info on Dillard. Sorry you are right I should have done a search here.

Anyway the web site www.dilard.com doesn't work. Are you sure that is the address?

Thanks!

Leica M6TTL0.85

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Leica,

That link works for me, but you can try this instead. It is a direct reference to the home page.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Milori! The link works! So it's just software! You would think that should be part of the package if you buy the projector. And $350! Just for some utility? Maybe there is a cheaper way to adjust the black levels, etc...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Leica Man,

You don't know it yet, but you just put your foot in your mouth. See milori is none other than the author of Dilard.

Dilard uses a colorimeter to adjust the projector - you can play all you want and not get as close as automatic adjustments will...

And the original link to the www.dilard.com website looks like it has a stray comma slipped in..

drewman

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I was wondering how long it would take Bob to try out his Panamorph.

Bob, are still using a G1000?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
47 Posts
My apologies to Milori! I know how hard it is to write software and no doubt the Dillard Softaware is worth every penny of its $350 asking price. And frankly $350 is peanuts compared to other items in A/V stuff anyway. And if it does make such improvments, then it's a steal!

But I am just surprized to see software that can improve a projector. I never knew that was possible. So I was puzzled.

Anyway, I wish Milori all the well. How knows I may well buy his software! I will most likely get a G-15 in the future anyway. Why? Because my life is miserable with these CRTs. A few years ago a bought myself this Sony 1292. I fell in love with its picture. So I bought one. After that it has given me nothing but trouble. And now I can't take it anymore. It's like you see a beautiful woman and fall in love and marry her right away. Then you find out she is a whore...the sex is great, but everything else sucks and wished you would have married a plain Jane to hell with the sex...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Leica Man,

I had and Electrohome CRT FPTV and later a Sony 1292Q like you.

Except I never had any real problems with my Sony.

But I wanted a bigger screen and I bought a JVC G1000, and later upgraded to a G15, and I've never looked back.

Out of the box the D-ILA projectors are quite nice with high resolution and minimal pixel gap, but it's the calibration and better scaling (HTPC) that pushes them to actually compete visually with the best CRT FPTVs out there.

I have Mark's software and it is very thorough, allowing custom control and setup of the projector. Calibration makes a visible improvement in picture quality with better blacks, better contrast, and better color.

-Dean.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I guess its time to fire up the G1000 and check out HDnet with the Panamorph if I can find a piece of plywood the right size.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Leica Man,

The conventional DILA projectors (and most all other digital imaging projectors) were marketed to buyers who would use them for business presentation. Their success was due in large part to their being able to deliver a very bright PC graphic which could be seen well with external light. For that reason the manufacturer's had

little motivation to improve their color accuracy. Or their

ability to reproduce black (since that would result in less brightness).

Milori's DILARD will provide an in-home calibration solution for those of us using DILA projectors for home theater. Mark (Milori) has been working a long time to provide this. We have been anxiously awaiting it and it will very soon become a reality.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-07-2001).]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.