AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are using a DILA and you provide a HD signal (720p / 1080i) and you are using either a Panamorph or ISCO anamorphic lens does the DILA use the entire panel ? It would seem to me that it does, but I wasn't certain, and I did not find anything in a quick search that clearly answered this question.

Thx

Bryan

·
Registered
385 Posts
Brian, even though Ihave not hooked up my Dila to HDTV yet, I see no reason why the whole panel is not used. However, I do query the use of a panny or ISCO as one would need to have the appropriate squeeze of the incoming signal so that the anamorphic lens can unsqueeze it.

I use the Rock plus as a scaler. From what I understand it just passes the signal straight without any electrical image manipulation. I'll have to see how 1080i with panny looks like myself......I think I'll see fat pudgy images!

anybody with a panny or ISCO care to comment on how it looks or what manipulation is being done to address the squeeze/unsqueeze?

Jaime

[This message has been edited by Jmartin (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I'm using a panamorph with my D-ILA and a Dish 6000 HDTV receiver with OTA module. It was just recently that the Dish 6000 software was updated to allow AR control -- I'm not sure how it would have worked before. The 6000 converts 720P to 1080i before outputting the component signal to the projector.

The bottom line is that I feed the D-ILA a tall&skinny image, set the D-ILA options to 4:3, and let the panie squeeze it back down. So, yes it uses the full panel with no problem.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
With a 1080i input, you can set the option to 4:3.

With 720p, you can't. You might need Dilard to be able to use both a Panamorph and native 720p. I haven't tried to modify the 720p scaling with Dilard, so I don't know yet if it would work properly.

------------------

Robert

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi Dean. Do you use DTV or Dish network? Looks like the Dish 6000 with upgraded software is one way to go for this setup, I'm wondering if DTV has something similar?

anybody???

Jaime

·
Registered
180 Posts
No troubles Jamie. I have the RCA-100HD and use it with my Panamorph. Just set it to 4x3 and it uses the whole panel,Panny then squeezes it back and you have one amazing picture. I was a bit skeptical with the hype Allan was pushing on anamorphic lenses but he is right on the money. It would be very hard to go back once you have lived with this much improvement.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Quote:
No troubles Jamie. I have the RCA-100HD and use it with my

Panamorph. Just set it to 4x3 and it uses the whole panel,Panny then squeezes it back and you have one amazing picture. I was a bit skeptical with the hype Allan was pushing on anamorphic lenses but he is right on the money. It would be very hard to go back once you have lived with this much improvement.
My freind has a G15/Panamorph with DILARD and he can use his Dish6000 no problem. The picture looks awesome.

He has just loaned a Vigatec which can also scale HD and he has invited me around to take a look. He is the one who put me onto the Panamorph and its lived up to our expectations as well as echoing what Alan has said about using an anamorphic lens.

DavidW

·
Registered
918 Posts
You can also use the DTC-100. I have not mounted the Panamorph yet, but I took a quick look and it squeeezed

the 4:3 to 16:9 (or so).

-=-

Mark

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Well tonight I got to see the Vigatec/G-15/Panamorph showing HD onto a Grayhawk and it was very very good.

No make that awesome.

This has got me thinking about Kevin Gilmores lamp change. If I could get 2500hrs from a bulb that costs $400-$500 Imay just have to look at DILA.

I have the Panamorph on my Dlp so I may just look at the new 150HT DILA and a Vigatec instead of the 1:78 DLP.

The G15 looked that good it was spooky.

All I need is that 2500 hr lamp life.

Kevin will the 500w bulbs fit the G150HT ?

DavidW

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
David,

I have not tried it, but would assume that any bulb that works in the G15 will work fine in the G150HT.

By the way, I'm sure that you already know this, but the G150HT is mainly a "hushed, calibrated" G15. For the extra $8000, you could get a pretty sweet hush box made for a G15 and calibrate it and still end up with several thousand dollars in savings.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I saw the G15/ISCO/Vigatec combo at CEDIA and it looked much better than 1080i straight into a G20/Panamorph. The Vigatec Dune definitely does a better job de-interlacing 1080i than the internal scaler for anamorphic lenses. In letter-boxed mode without the anamorphic lens, the G20 looked very nice. With an anamorphic lens I noticed a lot more aliasing (it still looked *good*), however the Vigatec did provide a visible improvement.

Regards,

Kam Fung

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.