AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When viewing DILA projectors, I've noticed that solid colors (especially visible in DVDs such as Tarzan) have a textured look to them. Although I can't see the gaps between the pixels, I still feel that I can see the pixels themselves.

I also notice the same thing when comparing a CRT monitor to an LCD monitor, so I can't blame it on only DILAs. My question is, are there plans to make this effect less noticable, or am I the only one seeing it?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Pultzar,

potentially what you're are seeing is intentional texturing. After all, it is animated. Sit at a conventional viewing distance with the SMPTE color bars running (AVIA, VE) and let us know if you see the same texturing of solid colors.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a good point, but I also remember seeing it on video sources (DVD), it was just harder to pick out. I'll have to visit the store again to see if I can view the problem using a test disc with colored bars.

Thanks!

·
Registered
835 Posts
What kind of player are you using for DVD's? Textured solid colours sounds like what happens when you dither 24/32 bit colour down to 16 bit colour. If you are playing DVD's using a PC checking your colour settings may help.

How would you describe the texturing? How regular is it? Does it look like bands or individual squares of similar colours? Is there any orientation to the pattern? Does it shift and crawl or does it stay in one place?

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The DVD player in use (at the dealer) was a Proceed DVD player with their new progressive scan card. The texture/pattern remained stationary, and looked to be of a high frequency nature in a checkerboard pattern. Basically it looked like the individual pixels were responsible.

It did not look like noise (the pattern wasn't moving) rather it just looked like a pixel grid.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The effect is visible with a static image.

My LCD projector at work has the same problem but way worse. Perhaps it is an issue with fixed pixel devices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.