AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark Hunter mentioned in his Dilard 2.1 thread that you need to turn of resize in the DILA to get pixel perfect mapping to work. I have found it under the options menu, but it is greyed out and set to ON. How does one get it to change from On to Off.

Also, Mark mentioned that the resolution of the SXGA3 input was 1365 by 768. Yet the perfect timings from Mark Rejhon specify a 1360 by 768 image. Can someone please reconcile these two approaches.

Thanks,

Bernd

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Mark said "if you input the native resolution of the projector, you don't really need to worry about Resize, as it will have nothing to do."

Not only do you not have to worry about it, you actually can't change it if you wanted to. In other words, if you input a resolution that matches the source selecton on the Gxx, *resize* is greyed out. Personally, I've found no reason or situation(yet)to prompt me to ever have to change the resize from it's default.

I think Mark may have been referring to a situation in where a permanent PC would not be in place. Pixel perfect mapping for most HTPC/Gxx users is done through Powerstrip.

The(very)short answer to your 2nd question is 1360 divided by 8 is a whole number(as is 768). 1365 isn't. The perfect timings are(in small part)based on this principle. I believe somewhere in the DILA FAQ Mark R explains this in much better detail.

Chris

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Regarding Resize, if you feed the projector 1280x1024 and set it to SXGA1 (60Hz refresh) or SXGA2 (70 Hz refresh), then you can turn resize off. SXGA3 does not allow you to turn resize off.

Andy K.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I turn resize off? My feeds to the projector are the perfect HTPC timings (approx 72HZ) to Computer 1, and the RCA DTC-100 to Computer 2 (the DTC converts everything to either 1080i or 540p which the projector sees as 1080i).

Thanks,

Bernd

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy,

Is it not true true that the exact resolution of SXGA3 is 1365x1024, and that if I feed it 1360x768 (which is what I am doing), then the scaler in the projector will attempt to stretch the 1360 into 1365?

Thanks,

Bernd

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
No. I believe the specific 1360x768 timings for HTPC hide the extra 5 pixels in the 'back porch' of the H/V timing.

So even though the PC is driving an active region of 1360x768, the projector is seeing sync timing consistent with 1365x768, (ie. 5 pixels on the right-hand side of each line are not being used and are being driven black.)

Andy K.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Bernd,

resize off is not available on any of the non-computer resolutions on comp2. In the case of 1080i the scaler appears to do a good job, but tommyboy2 has seen the vigatec outperform the 1080i input of the DTC100 by scaling it to D-ILA full panel and sycnching to SXGA3. Sounds promising, and from a usability stand point allows you to shift the HD image vertically to mate with 16:9 screen. No mods, no fuss, no muss.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Being that I've got the oddball G1000 with the missing SXGA 3 inputs, I am going through a lot to ultimately get the ability back in my projector. Then I read the statement a few replies above that 1280 vs. 1360 in the horizontal rez department is unnoticeable in terms of visual quality. That's 80 pixels....approx 6% more horizontal resolution. Is the difference between the two really unnoticeable in other peoples' opinions?

------------------

Ron

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
What do you mean you're missing the SXGA3 input? There are only two physical RGB input ports on the projector. SXGA1/2/3 are settings in the projector firmware.

Do you have a firmware that is missing this option?

BTW, I severely doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between two images where the difference was only 6% resolution.

Andy K.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
If you're feeding 1360x1024 or 1360x768 from an HTPC, you are using SXGA3 and you do not need to turn resize off. (no resizing is being done in this case)

If you're feeding 1280x1024 from an HTPC or Scaler, you should be using SXGA1/2 and you should turn Resize off and zoom the projector a little bit more to fill the screen that way.

IMO, Dont be too concerned about using 1360 vs 1280 pixels. Its unnoticable in terms of the picture quality or even screen door differences. The main reason to use 1360 is to avoid having to optically zoom the projector a little bit back and forth for other screen modes (like XGA, SVGA, etc etc which should be resized to the full width of the panel)

Andy K.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Just trust me, there's a problem with it. The SXGA 3 letters show up only in the line display at top right of menu when first clicked on. I'm hoping to be able to ascertain the difference between 1360 horiz. from C.I. Scaler vs. only 1280 myself if I get it fixed. Should at least get rid of last little artifacts that people gripe about, by no longer doing any resize.

------------------

Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.