AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody figured out how to make a VGA 640x480 signal work with a 16:9 screen and DILA projector?

I can get it to work great on Computer2 but I can't get it to work at all on Computer1.

Please help if you can. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks,

Cameron

p.s. As soon as I can figure it out, I will make it a mod for Dilard.

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Cameron,

I don't really get the question. The 640 x 480 4:3 image is the one res that I can always count on.

I use 640 x 480 only, and I do mean only, for my windows desktop and 2nd monitor startup.

Are you saying you can't get it to display in Comp 2? I used C2 extensively with all resolutions before switching to C1 and using C2 for the DTC100. You are in Auto, right?

Chris

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Cameron,

I'll take a look next chance I get as well. So, you are trying to "squish" the 640x480 4:3 resolution to 16:9? Is geometry distortion OK with your source material?

Or are you trying to get another resolution to use with that same source material that won't have image geometry distortion (like a 853x480 PowerStrip resolution, for example).

AFAIK, you can't use 640x480 on a 16:9 screen without modifying either the resolution or messing with the geometry ("stretching" or "squishing" the picture to work with a 16:9 aspect ratio).

Mark

PS - I actually use a "compromise" resolution with DirectX games of 720x480 on a 16:9 screen in conjunction with a Dilard mod. It's a little more complex than I would care to advertise, but PowerStrip made the unique resolution, and Dilard does a small stretch with it. The geometry distortion is not severe (but certainly noticable), and the resolution is not so far off 640x480 that the DirectX drivers get confused. Anyway, that is my "compromise" solution...somewhere in the middle. I don't have a chance to play many games lately, though. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I am trying to do is squash a 640x480 signal to fit on my 16:9 screen. Well actually what I am trying to do is to get my Dreamcast with a VGA cable working on my Computer 1. I want to use the computer 2 for my HTPC and my VGA-5BNC cable does a better job with the signal. My VGA to VGA cable is not doing so well at 1365x768 so swapping the HTPC with my Dreamcast will give a much better result for DVD playback and such.

Mark,

I would appreciate it if you could give it a try. The Dreamcast just puts out a regular old 640x480 or 480p signal.

Thanks,

Cameron

(who hopes that he hasn't been too confusing.)

------------------

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not as important, but I will be looking into doing a similar thing with 800x600 SVGA too on Computer2 in the future if I can get this Computer1 problem worked out.

All for the sake of games. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I was trying to get VGA3 to squash a VGA image down to fit on my 16:9 screen, but it just didn't work. Hopefully I can work on it more tonight. Just when I think I am getting close, the image totally wiggs out.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I know you guys are dying to know what happened with my situation...

Well I kinda figured it out. I just sat there and through several hundred iterations, I learned some of the ins and outs of the Image Geometry Wizard in Dilard. So now it seems to work pretty good. I will hook the Dreamcast tonight hopefully and we will see how it all pans out.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I watched a movie instead of plugging in the Dreamcast. I guess I will have to see how it goes.

Cameron

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.