AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

I don't really understand this one. It would make much more sense to ask if one can get a good picture with a DILA and NO scaler, especially with the WAF reference. But, what the hell, Yes one can get a great picture with a DILA and one of several scalers. Art

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I think that you might mean "vs. an HTPC", correct?

Yes, many external scalers work great and some are even specially configured for D-ILA use. Your best bets will probably be a Rock, Faroudja NR, Crystal Image or Vigatec scaler...in approximately that order.

An HTPC is a great choice as well, but you will lose a bit of the WAF unless you spend some time setting it up to be really simple to use.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quadscan was noticably absent from your list. Why?

I am using one and picture is mostly great but get overscan edges from bad cable service and lose sync easily when changing sources. Are these problems typical?

Randy

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Randy,

I knew that someone would call me on the Quadscan omission. To be honest, I've never seen one perform on a D-ILA, but I've heard enough about the QS/D-ILA combo to recommend the other options instead.

I know that there are quite a few QS/D-ILA owners, though.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I got to play with a Quadscan Pro for a couple weeks with my D-ILA and it looked very good.

I use an ISCO I lens so I was testing it at 1365 X 1024 resolution, and I was most impressed with the laserdisc scaling which looked DVD quality with the better mastered titles.

I think that the internal scaler is decent for 16:9 enhanced DVDs from a regular DVD player and good enough for casual viewing.

The QS was quite detailed and closer to the HTPC quality than to the internal scaler.

HTPCs are again a notch better with added clarity and detail, but the QS had an admirably good picture that is visibly better to my eyes than a regular line doubler feed, or progressive scan DVD.

I haven't seen the Vigitec, new Faroudja, or Rock scalers so I can't compare them.

-Dean.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Randy,

I really should not have said anything, as I don't have any first-hand experience with the QS.

I am just parrotting some of the things that I've read around here. They may be pilot error. It is probably a great combination.

Anyway, if you want to see the "source" of my comments, check out this thread and this thread .

Thanks.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Millori,

Neither of the posts seem to comfirm that their problems were due to the quadscan. In fact some of those posts are indicative of most scalers. The picture is good, but I suspect that the other scalers may be better because I heard work on improving the quadscan has stopped.

I have only two complaints about the quadscan. If you switch sources it's not the quickest cookie at syncing (yes rfc1031 it's a bug). Sometimes it can't lock up at all. A reset clears that up.

The other complaint is when watching subtitled movies. The movie needs the 3:2 pulldown, but the text seems to be video based. The result is a bit of combing. Forcing to video decoding seems to stops this.

[This message has been edited by bluedevils (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
340 Posts
Bluedevils,

The current firmware (2.55) has the sync problem fixed.

They will send you the chip for the asking. Just send

e-mail to Mike Brown ([email protected]). Depending

on what level you currently have, there are probably

several other improvements that have been made since your

rev. I just upgraded from 2.10 to 2.55 yesterday so it's

a little early to say how much of a difference there is,

but you can't argue with the price.

- Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.