AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even without the hardware there are new features in the release.

Mark has done a great job and it was avaliable for download as he said it would be.

The new delay setting in the pixel alignment wizard got rid of my shadow problem, can't wait to do a full calibration.

Well done Mark.

Cheers,

Martin.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Martin:

Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten that this was coming out.

How do you install it? Just download the zip file and unzip it on top of your previous installation? Do you need to back up anything first, such as your macros and the dld file?

- Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dowload the new version and I resolved the problem I had with ghosting.

The new DC delay in Pixel alignment save me to send one more time the projector to JVC service. I have been waiting for this months.

I also did a new back up and new report.

Thanks Mark for this new feature.

Jose

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Dave, Martin,

I recommend installing right over the previous installation. The only downside is that you may have 2 items in your "Add/Remove Programs" list instead of one, but this won't affect anything at all.

If you would rather uninstall the previous version, the installation Wizard knows not to delete any files you've created (like your license, back-ups, mods, etc.) However, if a file has only *changed* (like a mod file), it will be deleted upon uninstallation.

The safest upgrade option is to install over it. The Wizards will just be upgraded with newer ones, the low-level components will be upgraded and everything else will remain as it was (shortcuts, start-menu, back-ups, mods, etc.).

By the way, there will definitely be a 2.2b designation on the software coming out with some changes to support the newly calibrated sensors (and fixes to the back-up wizard).

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Gee, I didn't even know this was out yet.

Mark, you need to start tooting your own horn more. :D

Does the 2.2 fix the small problems we have talking about, Mark? How soon for 2.2b do you think.

Chris

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Chris,

Yes, this adds the macro features I mentioned (thanks for your suggestions!). 2.2b will the version that goes out when the hardware goes out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Also, do you happen to know how long the USB cable is that's on the colorimeter? I'm going to need to buy an active extension cable because my HTPC is ~25' from my screen, and I'd like order the right length cable.

For those that are interested, I'm looking at this extension for the job.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by karos
And when do you think the hardware will ship?

Stefan
I met with the colorimeter manufacturer on Thursday to review final changes and Mark received a final unit to test via Saturday FEDEX. There have been significant changes to the colorimeter and as such we had to have, yet again, newer firmware to further increase the accuracy. We should have units to the beta testers by the end of this week...god willing...and then start to ship the following week provided the beta testers find no major showstoppers.

Mark has made good use of the time though - he just reworked the UI to make it more XP-ish...very cool stuff. :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks, Tom! The new sensor works great. I tried to call you, but might as well post the information here, so everyone else can track the progress, too (but call me back anyway).

I think these folks were talking about Dilard, but yes, ColorFacts has a new user interface thanks to this hardware delay. No moss grows on me!

It's not exactly "Windows XP", it's more...well, heck, here it is:

http://www.dilard.com/dilard/images/...mainscreen.jpg

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mark,

What is the status of Colorfacts? Will it ship with the hardware? I bought both and would really like to do a comprehensive 'before and after' on my G15 as part of the Dilard beta test.

Just curious!

Phil

·
Registered
574 Posts
I didn't even know this download was available!! Mark, you need to send out an email or post something - no one even knew. I assumed the new version would come with the sensor.

I can't wait to try it out. I'm very interested in the shadow fixed on Martins display.

Brian

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Brian and Jose,

I'm glad to hear that the new "Delay" option helps to fix the ghosting. That's great news!

There is also a new "Gain" setting in the Image Geometry Wizard that can help here as well. Another user told me that the "Gain" helped his pixel clock sync. on the projector and fix his ghosting.

I'm also finding out that GeForce video cards can cause some ghosting as well, so GeForce-based HTPCs and GeForce-based Rocks may cause this and it might have nothing to do with the projector.

Good news, though!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hi Mark. Is the downloadable version 2.2 the one that will ship with the caibration hardware, or is there more tweaking to do? My HTPC isn't connected to the web, so I prefer to download/burn/install only once.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Jeffrey,

You should wait.

Dilard 2.2b is right on our heels and will be the one that goes out with the hardware.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mark:

There is something that seemed to change with the Dilard scripting object. Code that used to check for the projector being on with the statement:

if Projector.OperationModeS = "Standby"

no longer work.

I had to change them to:

if Projector.PowerOn = False

- Dave

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks, Dave,

Yes, the "Projector" object did change a bit for 2.2. Wow, thanks for letting me know that. I doubt if I would have discovered it in final testing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mark,

I have been unable to get an HTPC (grumble grumble), so I will be using a Toshiba DVD player and my Laptop to run Dilard2.2, control the calibration/setup process.

Can you forsee any problems or limitations in my doing a full calibration, using all the new features, ColorFacts feedback, with this setup?

I recognize can't do play/screen macros, while watching DVD sans laptop, but the JVC G-15 pj will remember all the settings, right?

Will G-15 remember enough setups that I can have calibrated/colorfast setups for the most popular stuff I watch:

a) 1.85 anamorphic DVD w/ISCO II

b) 2.x anam DVD w/ISCO II, and

c) Direct TV sat (RCA DC-100) with 4:3

d) Satellite HDTV (again, DC-100)

each with its own optimal pj settings?

Maybe I don't need an HTPC, eh?

(you probably spotted me in the 2.2/ColorFacts powerbuy)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Loganross,

Currently, only the D-ILA projectors are supported.

However, ghosting is very often an issue outside the projector, and is usually caused by (in order of likelihood):
  • Cabling issues. Runs that are too long or through cable of insufficient quality can cause ringing and reflections in the cable that appear in the image.
  • Scaler/HTPC issues. I was shocked to see the tiny amount of ghosting I had disappear when I switched from a GeForce2 to a Radeon DDR video card in my HTPC.
  • Reception issues (if appropriate). If you are receiving a signal OTA, make sure that the signal is strong.
  • Other interference from a source leading into the projector.

I wouldn't rule out the projector, but I would first see if it could be something else first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.