Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_up...ftware-med.jpg

Dilard and Colorfacts Introductions>

After several months of engineering, dozens of business meetings and reams of code, I am pleased to announce the imminent availability of Colorfacts and the long awaited Dilard Calibration Wizard!

The delay was due to the fact that we were unwilling to make any compromises in the quality of the final products. In case you are not familiar with these two titles, here is a brief overview:

Colorfactss>

Colorfacts is a display device analysis system that uses a highly accurate proprietary colorimeter that we helped perfect specifically for home theater and digital cinema use. Colorfacts allows you to analyze and perfect your video display device for peak performance.

http://www.avsforum.com/special/index.5.jpg

Dilards>

Dilard is an application for automating, modifying and calibrating D-ILA projectors. The new pending 2.2 release finally adds the 'calibrating' component to this claim by including the Pre-calibration and Calibration Wizards. Both of the new Wizards require colorimetric support, and use the proprietary colorimeter mentioned above. This is the least expensive colorimeter that we plan to support.

The Dilard 2.2 Calibration Wizard is a completely automated calibration of the entire projector that you can perform in your own home using a computer and the specified colorimeter. The Wizard will correct the black level, peak white, contrast, brightness, red gain, blue gain, green gain, tint, gamma (luminance output characteristics) and gray scale linearity to D65 throughout the entire visible spectrum. Exposed parameters with appropriate defaults allow you to customize the calibration to your viewing environment (for instance, trading brightness for black level).

The process is completely automated, so you will not need to baby-sit the Wizard once you have started it. An entire calibration takes approximately 9 to 11 minutes to complete.

http://www.avsforum.com/special/index.1.jpg

Pre-Order Offers>

As many of you know, Alan Gouger and Tom Strade have formed a new company called Immersive, Inc., and Milori is a supplier of software to their product line.

AVScience has agreed to offer a pre-order of these software titles, where you will have the opportunity to purchase the software at a discount if you agree to order before the glowing reviews come rolling in http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

They are taking pre-buy orders through CEDIA and expect both products to ship no later than October 22, 2001.

In addition, several people from the pre-order list will be selected and asked to participate the the Beta program which will start immediately.

Pricings>

Current Dilard Customers (with a verifiable purchase on or before August 31, 2001) have three choices:

1. Download your free software upgrade to the 2.2 release when it becomes available. You will receive upgrades to many parts of the suite, but will not be able to perform a calibration without the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter. The Calibration Wizard will not work with any other colorimeter.

2. Purchase the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter for $325 and receive the Dilard 2.2 full version on CD. The Optimageryâ„¢ colorimeter comes with a special tripod mount and lens specifically designed for front projection home theater and digital cinema applications. The price for this colorimeter with tripod mount after CEDIA will be $375 and will only be available until our first batch of colorimeters runs out.

3. As an existing Dilard customer you can also buy the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter and the Colorfacts product for $895. After CEDIA the price for Colorfacts will be $1,595 retail.

New Customers (purchasing on or after September 1, 2001) have the following pre-order pricing options:

1. Purchase Dilard with the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter and tripod mount for $750. The price after CEDIA will be $850.

2. Purchase Colorfacts with the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter and tripod mount for $995. The price after CEDIA will be $1,595.

3. Purchase Dilard and Colorfacts together for $1,495. The price for this combo after CEDIA will be $1,995.

Ordering / Questionss>

Please click here if you wish to place an on-line pre-order for any of the above or contact AV Science at (716) 454-1460 with questions. AVScience has a list of existing Dilard customers to verify Dilard purchases prior to September 1.

Thanks!

Mark

[This message has been edited by Tom Strade (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Congratulations Mark on the birth of this next child. How long was it in gestation? (in Panamorph years please). Sounds like a killer app for DILAs. What's the difference between the optimagery product bundle and the colorfacts bundle? Arent we talking about a colorimeter feeding Dilard that's adjusting the DILA? Is colorfacts just a fancy GUI? Thanks.

Stefan

·
Registered
842 Posts
Stefan,

DILARD is an application written by Mark for D-ILA projectors and started out as a way to do custom aspect ratios/control the projector via RS232. This announcement is for the long awaited DILARD calibration wizard, which is free to current DILARD owners, however requires a special colorimeter.

Colorfacts is a full fledged color analysis package, however, uses the same colorimeter as the DILARD calibration wizard requires.

Optimageryâ„¢ is just the blanket name that Colorfacts and DILARD (and some others in the pipeline) will be marketed under by Immersive. The Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter is all you will need to use the calibration wizard if you are an existing DILARD customer.

I hope that helps. Please refer to the pre-buy page as it may also help sort things out a bit as there is a lot on the table for folks to sort out.

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc. www.immersiveinc.com

[This message has been edited by Tom Strade (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
918 Posts
So since I already have DILARD all I would need is the colorimeter. However I don't expect that I'd need to use it all that often. Can the colorimeter be shared (i.e. it isn't node locked to a specific s/w version), or perhaps rented?

I know the intro price is very attractive, but I can't pickup every piece of interesting gear...

My Panamorph finally arrived. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-=-

Mark

------------------

JVC G1000 DILA

Stewart Greyhawk

Sony: SAT-B3, DTC-100,STR-DA777ES Receiver

Toshiba: SD-3109 DVD

Proscan 27" TV

B&W: DM601, CC6, DS6B, 800ASW speakers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe I'm stupid or it is very early morning but :

1. The Prices mentioned in this post does not match the prices on http://www.avsforum.com/special/ -

The DILARD combo is special offer for $895 on web and $995 in this post (offer nr. 3 for existing DILARD customers)

The DILARD and Colorfacts combo is prices $1495 on the web and $1295 in this post. (offer nr. 3 new customers)

Since I don't have a D-ILA (Yet) and do not own DILARD - my question is - will there be a cheap upgrade for Colorfact owners to add DILARD and Autocalibration wizzard afterwards if I by a D-ILA projector?

2. I noticed on a previous post about DILARD that the 3010 is not supported - is that still true?

3. Should I just order the $1.295 combo right away *G*

Best

Kasper

------------------

-------------

Denon AV1SE

Panasonic 42"Plasma

Pioneer 737 DVD

Stewart 16:9 100" Grayhawk

Sony 10HT (temporary)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Mark,

I have pre ordered the hardware DILARD upgrade because the

good price, but do not forget that I have a DLA-G3010Z.

When you contact JVC, can you ask them if an upgrade exists

between DLA-G3010Z and DLA-DS1

Thanks for your help.

------------------

Alfred Cylla

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sold!

Not that I understand exactly what colorfacts will do for me. But I'm looking forward to playing with the system anyway.

I'll sign up as soon as the website is back up.

--Les

·
Registered
842 Posts

Originally posted by klarsen:
Maybe I'm stupid or it is very early morning but :

1. The Prices mentioned in this post does not match the prices on http://www.avsforum.com/special/ -

The DILARD combo is special offer for $895 on web and $995 in this post (offer nr. 3 for existing DILARD customers)

Good catch - it is $895.

The DILARD and Colorfacts combo is prices $1495 on the web and $1295 in this post. (offer nr. 3 new customers)

Another good catch - this one is $1,495.

Since I don't have a D-ILA (Yet) and do not own DILARD - my question is - will there be a cheap upgrade for Colorfact owners to add DILARD and Autocalibration wizzard afterwards if I by a D-ILA projector?

Not a bad idea. I suppose it is only fair that if we are now rewarding early adopters of DILARD that we also reward early adopter to Colorfacts. Nothing planned, as the above is already confusing enough, but we may well offer something like that down the road for new Colorfacts customers that end up buying a D-ILA one day.

2. I noticed on a previous post about DILARD that the 3010 is not supported - is that still true? Sorry, I need Mark to answer this one.

3. Should I just order the $1.295 combo right away *G* Check your private inbox.

Thanks!

Tom

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc.
www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by karos:
If it is the same, why is there a colorfacts bundle for existing DILA customers?
Since the same hardware is required for both Colorfacts and DILARD (Optimagery Colorimeter) we have given existing DILARD customers the opportunity to add Colorfacts to their purchase of the colorimeter (hardware) for a combined price of $895.

New combo customers get DILARD with autocal wizard, Colorfacts, and a colorimeter (hardware) for $1,495.

I hope that helps.

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc.
www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Knowing Marks history, I am assuming that (although it doesn't explicitly state it above) Colorfacts is another DILA only setup ?? The Dilard info states it is for DILA only but Colorfacts is just listed as color calibration...

Another reason to wish I was part of the DILA club !!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Good luck to all involved in this... I really like to see these forums give birth to new business ideas and partnerships among the passionate people that call this place their home... Kudos

------------------
New email [email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy:
Knowing Marks history, I am assuming that (although it doesn't explicitly state it above) Colorfacts is another DILA only setup ?? The Dilard info states it is for DILA only but Colorfacts is just listed as color calibration...

Another reason to wish I was part of the DILA club !!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Good luck to all involved in this... I really like to see these forums give birth to new business ideas and partnerships among the passionate people that call this place their home... Kudos

Hi Phat!

No need to own a D-ILA to get in on the fun with Colorfacts and start analyzing your TVs, projectors, monitors, etc. The two packages happen to use the same colorimeter so we decided to offer bundles - obviously it seems we've confused ourselves! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Hopefully this all gets digested soon.

Tom

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc.
www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi,

I'm french, I own a DILA G1000 and DILARD 2.1.

My english is not as goog as I wish and my understanding of this topic is not fully clear.

What do I have to order?

The free upgrade and the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter for 325$?

What will add the colorfacts ?

Excuse me if you have already answer to he same question but can you explain this to me one more time ?

Thank you.

Olivier.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi Olivier!

No problem. As an existing DILARD customer you have two choices (well three...but not buying it isn't one of them http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

1. Buy the hardware to use the new calibration wizard for $325; OR

2. Also toss in Colorfacts (which includes the above) for $895

Hope that helps.

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc.
www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
354 Posts
Congratulations!!

Well, I bit on the whole deal. I am very happy with Dilard and am sure I will be happy with Colorfacts.

Tell me if this is a correct thought process:

Calibrate DILA with Dilard.

Then using Colorfacts,calibrate the DVD->Scaler->Projector chain.

that way, the final outputted product can be 6500K and I can preserve my contrast ratio in a measureable way.

Does this mean I can really finally throw away all those little film strips?

Thanks a bunch!

ham

------------------

ham

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great news!

As a follow up to Ham's question .... what will Colorfacts do for the DILA that Dilard can not provide?

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi,

Will it be possible to calibrate the PJ with Colorfacts to D65 taking the screen itself into account? Is the colorimeter designed as to physically allow for this?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Neil,

Dilard is D-ILA specific. It will calibrate the projector and give you some final metrics to examine (like contrast and the calculated gamma settings).

Colorfacts is designed to work with any display, and we will be creating a profile library to increase the accuracy of the software over time. It will examine the display in-depth and provide Current and historical correlated color temperature, current and historical luminance (gamma output), current and historical RGB levels, CIE chart plot and many others metrics of the display like Hue, DeltaE error, Black Level, Peak White output, contrast, and the raw data itself is available for analysis by professionals.

Unlike Dilard, Colorfacts does not perform any action with the information. It just presents it to you. It is then up to you to adjust your DVD player, scaler, WinDVD, end-user projector controls, etc. to make the instruments come out closer to reference. For your convenience, the "reference" is indicated in each of the instruments. You will be able to see how the changes you are making are affecting the picture immediately.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.