AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark Milori was kind enough to work his magic via the beta version of Dilard on my new G15 and apparently do some minor tweaks on the sofware in the process as well.

In spite of the fact that I am still waiting for my new greyhawk to arrive and had to see the results on my incredibly picky film collector neighbors 2.0 gain screen it looks GORGEOUS!

I had to extrapolate a bit what I will get off the greyhawk, and may still, before it gets here, try it on my 78" matte screen thats still up. My hushbox was sold along with my G1000 so I will have to be using the old balance it, inverted, support it by books, old vhs tapes, and do "final positioning" via empty mindisc cases and pray that no one taps the cabinet it is all sitting on.

The eventual mounting position will be in a hushbox affair thats built into the wall above my equipment cabinet and the projector will be shooting across to another wall.

We did try it on some B & W laserdiscs which aside from the bad resolution from the laserdiscs, seemed to exhibit a perfect greyscale. Mark did tell me it ended up at a virtually perfect 6500K anyway.

On Gladiator HD the only drawback we noticed is we could now see the computer generated effects clearly. But then again we were REALLY looking at the picture! My neighbor buddy could pick apart an image from God appearing in the clouds given the chance.

I wish I could pass on some numbers that meant something. The only thing I can say is vs my recollection of my JVC calibrated G1000, the calibration via Dilard looked GREAT! I had a really bright pic on the G15 (blooming whites) prior to Marks work but again I had no shadow detail. It looked a bit like TV rather than the filmlike look of my G1000 yet lost little brightness.

Can't wait to have the release version!

Larry

------------------

DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP/DMCA MANUFACTURERS!

Join Electronic Freedom Foundation
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
842 Posts
I would like to add that i ran the dilard 2.2 gamma calibration wizard over the weekend, and the results are astounding. In a half an hour the software did a better job of setting the black levels and gamma than i could with a photoresearch and 4 hours of tedious work. This is one outstanding piece of software.

You will need a tripod thats capable of putting the probe 6 feet high. And most likely a usb extender cable.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The 2.2 version is in beta and not available to the general public yet. I'm part of the development team working on this. You will also need a supported colorimeter sensor. Prices on sensors have yet to be determined.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thank you guys for the comments! The "limited Beta" is going well, and we should be going into a wider Beta very shortly.

I know that this Dilard release is coming together differently from previous releases, but this Wizard pair can really radically change a projector, and together they modify everything from black level, white level, contrast, brightness, D65 grayscale tracking (and color correction), output luminance and more. This release is having a longer Beta process to make sure that it works as advertised when released.

Kevin,

Good points. I agree. A tripod is almost a "must", and a USB extension cable is definitely handy.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mark, I see you are getting closer to completion.

Are you able at this time to announce the pricing of the required optical equipment needed with the new version of dilard?

I need to know how many pennies to save, or what price I'm going to tell my wife. I doubt the rental option is the one I will chose - I love tweaking to much.

Thanks, Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Larry - you have *got* to try it on your Grayhawk. After Dilard did it's thing, I put 4 hours on your lamp watching movies because of how it looked on the Grayhawk.

Miles - Still waiting for that little guy. I am still holding out hope to see it today.

Brian - An announcement is being drafted now...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Kevin,

Excellent idea. And while I'm telling her that, the bat will be moving with a tip velocity near 100mph - heading directly for my head.

I use that technique all the time, I don't think I have any good techniques anymore... all used up. That is why I wanted to try a new approach - tell her well in advance what the actual price is.

Good advice, though.

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mark,

add me to the list. I am a definitely needy soul for the calibration! Can't wait!

------------------

ham

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
The limited public Beta will begin later this week or soon thereafter. I will contacts folks by e-mail privately to participate.

Randy,

The colorimeter uses a USB cable to connect to the computer. The cable is quite long, but if your computer is "fixed", you may need a 6 foot USB extension cable (~$10-~$15). I hook into my HTPC which is in my rack in the back of the room, so the extension cable is handy.

We have tested on 98SE, NT 4.0, Win2K and WinME. We have not tested on Win98 (original), XP or Win95, but I would think that it may work just fine. The problem is that we don't have machines with those OSs at our disposal at the moment.

Mark

·
Registered
206 Posts
So is this new DILARD gamma calibration wizard going to be part of the DILARD "package" or something totally different.? I believe that upgrades to DILARD are free but does this include this new wizard?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Olivier,

The colorimeter takes readings from the test images that the Wizard creates. The Wizard analyzes the reading, and then sends RS232 commands to the projector to calibrate the picture. It's completely automatic.

Chris,

The USB cable goes to the computer...not the projector.

Here is the configuration:

Computer-->Projector (1 VGA video cable)

Computer-->Projector (1 RS232 Serial cable)

Computer-->Colorimeter (1 USB colorimeter)

The whole setup forms a "triangle":

1) Computer sends video test images to projector

2) Projector outputs test images onto colorimeter sensors

3) Colorimeter sends data to computer for analysis

4) (Back to beginning) Computer calculates adjustments and modifies projector via RS232 and returns to step 1 until complete.

It's really not as complicated as I'm probably making it sound, but that's it in a nutshell.

If you already have an HTPC connected, you probably have everything hooked up but the colorimeter! The colorimeter just plugs into the HTPC and you are done.

Mark

·
Registered
891 Posts
Right, clearly the USB goes to the computer, but unfortunately my HTPC is in the clost with the projector (I have the Intel Wireless package for controlling it in the viewing room).

I suppose I could get long RGB and RS-232 cables and make the USB cable shorter...or I could try to snake the USB cable through the hole the projector uses somehow...it'll be interesting, in any case. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Wireless, huh?

Hmmm...

Isn't there a wireless USB connector thing available? How cool would that be to have a colorimeter on a tripod completely wireless, sending data to the computer in the next room for analysis.

Now you have me thinking...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.