AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Mark, now that DILA's are obsolete, or at least no longer mentioned on this board, or if they *are* mentioned, there's no way they'd be noticed amid all the LT-150 posts -

when are you going to make DILARD support the LT150? If you need to get rid of some dead code so the app doesn't get too big, I'm sure there's some DILA code in there... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Mike,

Very interesting idea!

I have tried to keep Dilard 'simple' on the front-end, but it's a full three-tier 'business' application underneath.

What this means is that the communication layer can be ripped out and replaced with another one, if another one exists (or someday surfaces). If the LT-150 allows modification via RS232, this idea holds water. If not, there is little that can be done.

Do you know if the LT150:
  • Allows modification via RS232 (serial cable)?
  • Has an updatable gamma correction table?
  • Allows biases and gains to be modified?

Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milori:
I live just down the road in Apex, and I am one of many with the Dell LT-150 on order. Maybe we can work something out once mine comes in? :)

Sam

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mblank:

Mike's far too busy with the Calibration Wizard for D-ILA to be worrying about LT150's. Right, Mike? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
Who, me? Calibration wizard??

I just complain about things, I don't actually implement anything!!

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
What this means is that the communication layer can be ripped out and replaced with another one, if another one exists (or someday surfaces). If the LT-150 allows modification via RS232, this idea holds water. If not, there is little that can be done.

Ooh. Good programming practices Mark. Very impressed. A+.

This is something I'd be interested in helping with and will take a greater look when it arrives. My first inclination is to doubt it has any of the capability needed. But you never know.

--Les

[This message has been edited by arrow (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, more people giving me credit!!

Oh, I see, milori (Mark) ended his e-mail

Thanks, Mike

meaning that he was thanking me, not that his name was Mike!!

Though I'd love to take credit for all of DILARD! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More on topic, I see: http://support.nevt.co.jp/dl_service/

Apparently the LT140 can be connected to via a serial port... Don't know if there's any kind of gamma control there, however...

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
813 Posts
Great idea, I have thought of this before after I first found out how useful its is for the D-ILA. I would love to have it for the lt-150.

·
Registered
846 Posts
There is also a mention of an optional serial control cable on the nec website for lt150. No mention of what can be controlled though.

--Les

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mark,

Would you expect the serial connection to provide CLI for the projector? If I connect my computer and run terminal emulation, will I see anything?

--Les

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the very last page of the manual, it talks about the "PC Control codes". It shows the data (in hex) you need to send to the projector over its cable (it's serial, but an odd connector, DIN-8P) to do: Power on/off, input select, picture/sound/on screen mute on/off. It also says "Contact your local dealer for a full ist of PC Control Codes if needed."

The codes seem to imply that there could be a very rich language - e.g. there might be 4 bytes per opcode, with some variable number of args after the opcode...

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster:
On the very last page of the manual, it talks about the "PC Control codes". It shows the data (in hex) you need to send to the projector over its cable (it's serial, but an odd connector, DIN-8P) to do: Power on/off, input select, picture/sound/on screen mute on/off.
Ok, gotcha.
http://support.nectech.com/Vsd/dlp/l...le_connect.pdf

Too bad it only contains the short list. I'll call around and see if I can get the rest.

--Les

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
The codes seem to imply that there could be a very rich language - e.g. there might be 4 bytes per opcode, with some variable number of args after the opcode...
That *exactly* describes the D-ILA language. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

Odd that they use low ascii bytes for the communication (in the range 0x00 to 0x15). The other projectors that I have looked at use alphanumeric ascii codes so at least you can see them.

I don't think that you can Hyperterminal with the LT-150, for instance, unless Hyperterm allows the input of binary characters somehow.

Anyway, see if you can get your hands on this list. No promises, but it would be interesting to look at.

Mark

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, see if you can get your hands on this list. No promises, but it would be interesting to look at.
I emailed NEC's tech support a few hours ago to ask for the full list of PC control codes. Anyone else? I'll let y'all know if/when I get them.

Sam

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Mark,

If you decide you want to buy one of the Dell LT150's let me know. I ordered two (one to keep and one for eBay) but

the second one will have your name on it if you want it.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Any projector in the LT or VT series can be fully adjusted via the serial port. I will email a PDF of the full serial spec to Mark. There are even some settings (dither level, Y/C delay etc.) that cannot be adjusted in the onscreen menus.

I do not know yet whether the LT150 has the same reprogrammable gamma tables as the LT85/LT100/LT140 (and their Plus equivalents). If someone with an LT150 wants to bring one over for an hour or so, I will check it out.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Excellent, Mark! Thanks.

Bob - If this looks possible, I will certainly need a test machine. If the Dell sale stops anytime soon, I might need to take you up on the offer.

You know, here I thought I was basically "unemployed" and kidding myself that I could start a business creating software for calibrating home theater video equipment. Maybe it will come through after all.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.