AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just used (not yet registered, but bought) Dilard vs 2.0 and the detection wizard after several tries congruently insisted it detected a JVC G1000 while I have a G11E (E instead Of U stands for the 230 voltage) In the help files of the Detection Wizard it shows a picture of a G11! I feel some confusion and stopped the program.

What can I do?

Ky

· Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Ky,

Sometimes Dilard goofs on the projector detection. Well, in fact, it is JVC that goofed, but Dilard does it's best to cover up for it.

The conversation goes something like this:

Quote:
Dilard: "What projector model are you?"
Projector: "I'm a JVC G10"
Dilard: "Hmm...Really...A G10. Well a lot of projectors say that they are a G10 since JVC didn't always update the firmware to the correct model after that release. What is your ROM version, then?"
Projector: "I'm a G10, ROM Version 4.2.3"
Dilard: "4.2.3! You're not a G10 at all! ROM 4.2.3 makes you a G11!"
Whenever Dilard can't conclusively determine the model from the model responses/ROM tables look up, then it presents a combo-box of drop-down choices so the user can pick the correct one. Is G11 in the combo box in your Wizard? If so, select it in the list.

If it is not in the list, then the ROM table list needs to be updated in Dilard with your model (this is an endless process!). Let me know if you feel that is the case, and I will get it into the next build. I wish that the projector firmware was always correct, and this process would be much easier!

In the mean-time, drop me an e-mail and I will tell you the back door to "force" your projector into being interpretted as a G11 even if the choice is not present in the list.

Thanks!

Mark Hunter

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 04-26-2001).]

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YEs, will an older firmware of projectors have disadvantages compared with newer ones?

· Registered
4,525 Posts
Remarkably, I haven't found many differences in the firmware at all, and the small differences that are there are not generally show-stoppers:
  • Many G1000s do not have the "Model Query" command supported. In a sense, they identify themselves correctly by answering "A00" (I don't understand the request) when asked about their model. By returning no answer, they have answered!
  • Some of the early G1000s didn't have native support for 720P HDTV. However, this is in the flash memory, and not the ROM, and can be updated electronically (by Dilard) if it is missing.
  • The G20, M40 and G3010Z have newer (more expensive) electronics that support user memories, channels, lens shifting (if available) and true zone shading (newest D-ILA only). This is not a firmware upgrade, per se, but rather a change to the hardware itself. It can not be retrofitted to the G10/G11/G15 models.

In a nutshell, I don't believe that there is a way to flash the firmware, but if there was a compelling reason to do it, I'm sure that we'd find a way! Since there is really not much happening from rev. to rev. of the firmware for the G10/G11/G15 models, there is no compelling reason to want to upgrade.

By the way, this is the first time I have seen a G11 that did not understand the "Model Query" command. Dilard interprets that to mean that the projector is a G1000, but I can see that it should list a choice instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.