Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark,

Is Dilard going to include the functionality from the new tool that you are developing? If not all of the functionality, how much?

If you need to pay more to get the complete functionality of the new unnamed application, how much will it be for existing Dilard users?

Thanks,

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops I didn't finish my subject line. I wanted it to state.

Dilard Question concerning new software or something like that. Sorry if the post is too vague.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Cameron,

Good question. The short answer is that this new (unnamed) system was created so I could "measure" how well the Dilard Gamma Wizard was performing! A side benefit is that Dilard will be able to "measure" and rate itself using the code from the new app.

The difference is that Dilard will automatically change the display device (the projector in this case), whereas this new, unnamed system just provides the information about how well you the device looks (and how well your calibration and tweaking efforts are coming along).

Of course, very few display devices have gobs and gobs (technical terms) of accessible display properties available via RS232 (and NOT available any other way!), and will need to make adjustments manually to their equipment. Dilard can change those settings directly, based on the rich measurement data that is available due to this new application.

If mother is the necessity of invention (and if truth be known), I really absolutely had to build this new application to measure the results from the Dilard Gamma Wizard! I wanted to track and graph the grayscale tracking, gamma luminance output, contrast, peak white, RGB levels and black level, so I really needed something like this to see how well Dilard was coming along.

In fact, the new system is really a measuring system for any calibration effort...and Dilard just happens to be one such system!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So does that mean that all of the functionality of the unnamed app will be accessible from Dilard? For example the nice screen that you posted in the other thread?

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
short answer. Yes. you'll probably have to buy the probe.

I suspect as long as Mark owns a D-ILA projector your gonna get everything he can dream up.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good. I am 95% convinced that I will die without the probe.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Here's a little "behind the scenes" peak at the technology...

This "unnamed app" runs on top of a headless .DLL (no UI) where all of the calculations and transformations and other mathematical magic happen. I then built some really nice scrolling graphs, meters, CIE charts and other handy ActiveX controls to make an intuitive UI for it. This helps me to instantly "see" how well everything is coming together.

However, Dilard itself probably won't use the UI...just the "guts". I am using the tool to help build Dilard, but the tool wasn't going to become Dilard.

Dilard will just need to know the "data" and then make the "adjustments", but it won't really be an interactive process. The Dilard gamma instructions will be:

1.) Press go

2.) Wait 15 minutes

3.) You are done

You wanted an easy calibration process, right?

In contrast, this "unnamed app" tells you all kinds of information about the state of the display. It's quite fun to watch, really.

I sit and watch the "unnamed" app., while tweaking parameters and see how they affect the read-outs. It's remarkable how much better a sensitive instrument can "see" than we can with our own eyes!

Anyway, I hope that helps clear it up a bit. I know that this is an odd little twist, but it was a necessary step, and a really great tool in it's own right!

(PS - I was just profiling my laptop...Yech! Take a look at how the points on the CIE chart march towards blue as I went down with the gray scale (towards black) and how the temperature graph pinned at the top once I got to a certain point.

Anyway, a quite handy tool!

PS - Sorry for the large size of the graphic. I'm too lazy (or vain) to scale it down.

http://www.dilard.com/dilard/images/noname/noname3.jpg

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark,

Well the nice UI could be helpful for me in calibrating my other TVs and monitors at home and therefore I was hoping that it would be thrown in with Dilard.

So with that said... How much will the UI cost?

Thx,

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Cameron,

Thanks for your interest. It is very encouraging!

The new application doesn't yet have a name, channel (web site?) or a price. It's a bit early for some of those details. I will surely keep you informed.

Sorry for the lack of information. It's not to be rude. I just don't have those details myself yet.

The first step is to suggest a cool name...winning it will be the easiest way to guarantee you are the first on your block with one http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hey Mark

I have not use Dilard to its potential so I'll be tweaking now how do I pull up and print my Gamma Chart?

And to what do I compare it too?

Where can I get samples of these charts

Thanks Hugo

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hugo,

When you run the Dilard Back Up Wizard, the gamma curve chart is shown at the bottom of the chart.

I e-mailed you mine so you could compare yours to it. Let me know what you see in a difference.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.