AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very excited about the newest version of Dilard to come out with the automatic calibration wizard. I was wondering if anybody knows when the release is slated that will have adjustments for Gray screens such as the Stewart GrayHawk.

Thanks,

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Cameron,

We are working on it throughout the weekend...

Just to clarify some points:
  • Dilard 2.2 (with the optional hardware) will calibrate the projector and does not consider the screen at all. A gray screen will improve the black level of the calibrated picture, but the screen itself is not measured.

In the interest of full disclosure, we are being temporarily held up with an issue with our newly engineered hardware, but we still feel that we are on track for the system to go out in 'Release Candidate' form by 10/22.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark,

The gods of hardware never lend a friendly smile to the development/engineering group that announces a date. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

For some reason I thought that in the future some time (after 2.2.) there would be a few settings in Dilard that might adjust for a Gray screen. I thought I read something about that in a previous post. Maybe I am wrong?

Well either way, I can't wait until Dilard 2.2 comes out!!! So far Dilard has been a lifesaver with my projector.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hey Mark,

Will the gamma curves be saved along with all the other data in the backup wizard? Will we be able to do a before-and-after comparison by restoring the pre- and post-calibration state of the projector?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Cameron - Right you are! It's only a couple of days lost, so I think that the "development" team ( http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ) can recover the lost time from "hardware". We just don't like to wait!

SSands - The Beta will go out as soon as the final hardware is ready and the final once-over test is performed. I expect the Beta to go out Monday, 10/15.

Chris - Yessir. You can go back-and-forth between the "before" and "after" pictures using the back-up Wizard without a problem. I've done it many times! You can compare the different gamma graphs, if you wish.

In fact, the Wizard allows you to specify the transfer function yourself! After dozens and dozens of tweaky calibrations seeking the ideal picture, I found that a polynomial formula which optimizes the top and bottom end of the luminance output function provided much better results than a straight power function (like y=x^1/2.2). The transfer function is exposed in the Wizard if anyone thinks that they can do even better than what I was able to (disclaimer: it won't be easy...a lot of time has gone into the equation).

Oh heck, here is the transfer function currently in the software, in case you would like to graph it to see what it looks like. I know that I get criticized for "saying too much in public", but I just can't help myself!

y = 0.00000257*x^3 - 0.004369*x^2 + 2.78*x

OK. I've said way too much. Time to go.

Mark

·
Registered
547 Posts
Mark,

take your time!!! don't rush getting it done incorrectly. better to have better product late than bad product early.

seng

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mark,

Don't hold back - feel free to tell us anything you feel is worthy of our attention. At this point, anything to get us excited about the product is worthwhile reading.

I can't wait to see the improvements that it will make!

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.