Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Yesterday I purchase Dilard software and ask the license and get it even on Sunday THAT'S Service

What i really want to now with the new software update is it possible to calibrate the projector for 6500K with a color analyzer from 0-100IRE

I have a CA-1 and the grayscale is way of

Regards

Rob

------------------
http://httpd.chello.nl/~r.dingen/

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Rob,

I'm glad to hear that you are pleased with the Sunday service!

Yes, the new software update will allow you to use your colorimeter to calibrate the projector to 6500K. However, the manufacturer of the CA-1 has password protected that device so that it can not be used with software other than the originally shipped application.

Dilard still supports the CA-1, but you will need to obtain the password from the manufacturer to use it. Dilard will prompt for the password, and you will need to type it in.

Other colorimeters do not have this password.

By the way, the next release of the software is planned for some time after Infocomm. It will contain the Gamma Correction Wizard with support for 4-5 different colorimeters, including our recommended one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Mark!

I just purchased Dilard this weekend as well (wish I'd bought it before the price hike, but I just lucked into a D-ILA on Thursday). I'm looking forward to the new gamma wizard. There was some talk on this forum a while back about allowing the use of mathematically derived gamma curves in the wizard for people without access to a colorimeter. Will this still be the case? I remember that some of the professional calibrators were saying that the results would be poor because of variations in different machines, but they have to be better than the factory-standard calibration... And, if not, I can always revert to my backup http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

On that note, any chance of getting a gamma curve now that I could "restore" from the backup wizard? Pretty please?

Great product! I've already used it to adjust my black levels, phase and tracking (no 8-bar or pixel alignment problems yet, it's a new projector) and to create a full-panel 1280x720p resolution for use with my WinTV-HD and ISCO II lens. Woohoo!

-Sloth

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mark

That's not what I mean I want to adjust the different color on low end and high end and measure it with the ca-1 and avia IRE patterns

I also miss the bar in black level wizard before I had the license it works after not I try 16bit and 32bit low settings aggressive setting some times on green I see it but can't repeat it

Regards

Rob

------------------
http://httpd.chello.nl/~r.dingen/

·
Registered
510 Posts
Rob,

You know you can't use AVIA for gray-scale tracking ?

Use VE instead, it appears that AVIA has some infection in their gray scale patterns.

Frank Doorhof www.hometheater.nl

Dutch HT-Forum

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Papasloth,

Restoring a different gamma to your projector may produce changes, but it will not be optimal. A couple of folks have beta-tested this idea and have had good (but not perfect) results. This will be fully supported in the upcoming release.

Rob,

Let me think about that one. I didn't have any current plans to support arbitrary adjustment of the gamma settings. I was hoping to keep the system as easy to use as possible. Drop me an e-mail and we can talk off-line.

Dan,

The colorimeter abstraction layer currently supports the following devices:
  • The Klein LMS-4
  • The ColorVision Spyder
  • The Sequel Chroma 3 and 4
  • The Progressive Labs CA-1 (see the password restriction note above). You may or may not be able to use this device with our software, as it was designed to be used with a specific software package. You will need to enter the password for the device in order to use it.
  • The PhotoResearch 640/650
  • The Minolta CL-100 (future addition)
  • The Minolta CL-200 (future addition)

The Dilard software will "auto-detect" the connected device (the manufacturer and model and whether USB or Serial) and will instantly know how to "speak" to it. This is all transparent to the user (i.e. - "It just works").

That doesn't necessarily mean that these devices will all provide similar results. They do have different accuracy characteristics.

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
So which one will give the best results?

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Sounds great Mark.

Is there any possible chance that one of the colorimeters will be available to rent? If so, maybe all that were interested could do it in a geographical order of shipping, to avoid coast to coast shipping everytime it was ready to go to the next person.

Chris

·
Registered
300 Posts
I notice from a quick google search that a few of the supported colorimeters (such as the ColorVision Spyder and the Sequal Chroma 4) retail for only a couple of hundred dollars. I'm guessing the big difference between these cheap colorimeters and the more expensive ones is some combination of sensitivity and accuracy. Any feel for how important these differences will be to the final results?

Specifically, if the difference is paying a few hundred to buy a cheap colorimeter for initial calibration and touch up as the bulbs/panels age vs. spending $195 for rental of a really good colorimeter, how much difference in quality should I expect? (yes, I know, these are always subjective evaluations and a videophile will have different judgements from someone who just likes good looking DVDs on a really big screen, but I'm in the later group and I'm asking anyway http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

-Sloth

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Mark, you so easy...

you get a couple compliments and blamo you give up all your secrets!

So you think the ColorVision Spyder offers the best value the dollar?

Have you made arrangments to possibly market the probe with your next DILARD release?

Tryg

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Tryg,

I know. I know. There is just too much interesting stuff to save it up for a "sneak attack" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

Which colorimeter/spectroradiometer is best? Why, the most expensive ones, of course! Did you expect otherwise?

Having said that, is the extra .02% accuracy of the PR or McMahan equipment worth the extra $7000 in cost? Probably not for a typical home theater application. At least, not in my opinion.

I really like the ColorVision Spyder. It has 8 filtered silicon sensors for more accuracy than the 3 or 4 sensor tristimulus sensors (LMS-3, Chroma4, CA-1), but doesn't cost much more. It is easy to communicate with, and very consistent with it's readings. This will be the "recommended" device, and will be offered as an option for new Dilard orders, and will be offered (at a discount) to existing Dilard owners. There will probably be a way to just rent it as well. It's too early to know about any of the pricing yet.

Here is the honest-to-goodness truth from my point of view:
  • It IS possible to do an at-home calibration of the D-ILA with your fresh, sober eyes and a decent colorimeter. The software algorithms were a bit tricky, but the code is quite elegant and will guide you through the process nicely.
  • HOWEVER, I have a feeling that support costs are definitely going to have to be part of the equation. After running the routines through my projector dozens of times, I have learned something very important...the decision-making routines in the software almost have to be self-learning!
  • Although it would be an amazing endeavor, I'm not sure that building an Artificial Intelligence (AI), self-learning application to do projector calibrations is a wise investment.
  • Instead, I think that when "those situations come up" (and I can't even fathom to predict what they might be), it might have to be handled through a good old-fashioned support system. That keeps the cost down, yet still allows the at-home system to make it out the door.

In other words, I could develop this Wizard for the next two years and still not come up with a way to have all of the settings come out perfect. It will still take some "common sense" work on behalf of the user to make appropriate selections, and possibly even step backwards to do an earlier step again (the process is sometimes iterative).

I see why it is valuable to have a "human" involved to make some of these decisions. The software will guide you through the decisions as well as it can, but will need YOU to step into the calibration shoes to do the work at times. Of course, I think that is what some of you want!

Anyway, thank you guys for the support! I will see some of you at Infocomm. I would love to hear your ideas!

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
842 Posts
Mark forgot a couple.

Sencore CP288 and CP290

Barco

Both of which are sequel chroma devices.

A device from Lici is on the way for testing.

The colorvision spyder is definitely the price/performance

champ.

The minolta cs200 and the old phillips unit are the

accuracy champs however. Both are PMT devices with

a wide range. The minolta is about $8000.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
I really like the ColorVision Spyder. It has 8 filtered silicon sensors for more accuracy than the 3 or 4 sensor tristimulus sensors (LMS-3, Chroma4, CA-1), but doesn't cost much more. It is easy to communicate with, and very consistent with it's readings. This will be the "recommended" device, and will be offered as an option for new Dilard orders, and will be offered (at a discount) to existing Dilard owners.
Cool, sign me up!

[email protected]

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
It will contain the Gamma Correction Wizard with support for 4-5 different colorimeters, including our recommended one
Any way to get a list of these (in particular the recommended one), or should we just wait for the updated release (I know, can you say impatient?)?

------------------

- Dan Butterfield

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Mark,

Just make sure that in addition to the fancy calibration algorithms that you also provide a manual mode with metered outputs of the sensors (a spectrum would be good) as well.

------------------

Ken Elliott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.