AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some clarification. I got in on the preorder of the Dilard & Colorfacts combo prior to the Cedia convention. Afterwards I had read several posts about Dilard and Colorfacts.

I am wanting to fully calibrate my G11U projector. I originally thought that I needed Dilard with optimagery and colorfacts to do this. This is why I ordered colorfacts. Do I need colorfacts for the calibration? Or does colorfacts do other functions? Could someone please clarify what each does.

Does anyone know when the units will start shipping?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Business Lesson to Self: "You can increase sales through confusion." - Interesting!

Darren, Dilard 2.2 and the sensor are all you will need for the calibration of the projector.

Colorfacts is a comprehensive display analysis system for all types of displays...not just D-ILA. After your projector is calibrated, Colorfacts would allow you to adjust your scaler, DVD player, etc. to the "full-chain" is taken into account in the image. You could also use it on other televisions, monitors, etc. around the house.

But no, you don't need Colorfacts to calibrate the projector itself.

I hope that helps!

Dilard 2.2 gets paired with the software next week! Colorfacts will release immediately after.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
"Business Lesson to Self: "You can increase sales through confusion." - Interesting!"

I got it! A Harry Who quote from Get Smart, right? I love that show. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Chris

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the clarification.

My equipment at the current time is:

JVCG11U

Denon 3300

Rock+_

How important is it to calibrate the entire chain? Are these units not scoped prior to shipping?

Could someone please elaborate.

·
Registered
574 Posts
MarkH,

I originally purchased only Dilard 2.2 with hardware. I have been thinking it would be nice to calibrate a bunch of monitors I use at work everyday for video work, can I add Colorfacts to my purchase so that the final price ends up the same as if I purchased it the first day? If not, DarrenW, I might be willing to purchase ColorFacts from you for the price I'm describing above.

My second question is: Will I be able to use new sensor to not only calibrate my G11, but take colorfacts and the sensor with me to other monitors outside of where colorfacts is originally loaded? I sure hope that a licensing system similar to Dilard isn't needed everytime the Colorfacts software needs to be loaded on a different machine for calibration of a monitor or projector.

My third and final question, at least for today, relates to using the sensor with multiple licenses of Dilard 2.2. Will we be able to take the sensor with us and use it with another licensed version of dilard 2.2? Kind of like taking a tool (screwdriver for example) from your toolchest, and not having to pay Sears again when you want to use it on a different screw.

Thanks, Brian

anxiously awaiting dilard 2.2, sensor, someday a panamorph.

------------------

Our Home Theater... http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 10/2/01

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
"How important is it to calibrate the entire chain? Are these units not scoped prior to shipping?"
Hi Darren,

Since the calibration of the projector is performed with a computer, if you use the same computer as your video source (i.e. HTPC), it will be less important to consider the "whole chain" than if you use a DVD player, DTC 100 and a video processor as your video sources.

As far as if these individual components are "scoped" prior to shipping or not, I'm sure that varies from unit-to-unit.

Quote:
"can I add Colorfacts to my purchase so that the final price ends up the same as if I purchased it the first day?"
Hi Brian,

Let me check into that one for you. The pre-order has ended, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Quote:
[Can I take] "Colorfacts and the sensor with me to other monitors outside of where colorfacts is originally loaded?
Yes. You will need to have Colorfacts installed wherever you intend to use it (of course), but it is not tied to the computer hardware. You can take it wherever you need to in order to do your analysis.

Quote:
"Will we be able to take the sensor with us and use it with another licensed version of dilard 2.2?"
Yes again. Any registered copy of Dilard 2.2 can be paired with the "Optimagery Sensor" to do a D-ILA calibration. Put the opposite way, any one who can get their hands on a sensor will be able to calibrate their projector with a registered copy of Dilard.

By the way, I'm an "AVS Special Guest" this week. Feel free to stop by the Special Guest Forum and grill me over there as well. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks Mark,

Those answers couldn't have been better! I will try and drop a few good ones for you as a special guest as well. What an honor for you.

I can still remember when you were writing on this forum mentioning that you were working on a piece of software that would allow D-ILA users to calibrate and tweak their projector settings - that was one major factor in my purchase of the D-ILA I have today. Look at how far you have come! What an Entrepreneur.

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater... http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 10/12/01

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.