AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen mention of three upcoming LCOS based projectors with DVI inputs (Christie vivid red, Hitachi, Phillips).

Will these be compatible with the proposed standards of encryption of PPV HDTV?

Will JVC be adding DVI inputs as well?

Mark Hunter, any plans for dilarding these guys?

I'm riding a wave of upgrade lust and was about to order a G15; Should I wait?

------------------

Chip

[This message has been edited by mrbadog (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes, all three products have mentioned DVI but no HDCP. This may be no closer to "compliance" with the forthcoming standards than analog HD inputs.

I'm hoping to hear some news from CEDIA about these guys. Anybody seen them?

------------------

Chip

[This message has been edited by mrbadog (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Don't expect any answers. I asked the same question several times before and after Infocomm. Everyone seems to be in denial about copy protection. Few even ask the reps about it and when they do the reps say the don't know.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
I expressed my concerns to a co-worker about copy protection. He laughed and told me don't worry it will be hacked. I told him that it had already been hacked. He then asked what I was worried about. There are far too many high end CRT projectors and HDTV sets out there for it not to be profitable for someone to sell a device to circumvent copy protection. I am in the same boat as you. I have been waiting for this to be settled for six months. The same co-worker remarked,"Damn you are going to be watching the game, NFL, on that 31 inch Panasonic and football season is just starting?" I got the point. You can only wait so long.

------------------

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I knew these inputs would not start showing up in the next six months, I'd buy today. The news about the Dahlia and the announcements from DirecTV and the cable companies suggests otherwise. From a practical standpoint, I view any projector choice as something I will live with for about four years, and this is likely to become a significant issue during that time frame. Hopefully, at that time, they'll be native 1080P chips and video will be like audio, good enough on an absolute level not to worry about this upgrade merry-go-round http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Chip

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like most (?all) of us on the forum, I would like to see HDCP fail. I hope it parallels DIVX. But, as I'm about to plunk down 10 K or so on a projector, and some devices are now coming out with compliant inputs (Dahlia), it is a practical decision for me to hedge my bets by getting a projector with DVI/HDCP.

Anyone know if JVC will be putting these inputs on their FP DILA's?

------------------

Chip

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
I am with you. If I can't get 4 or 5 years use, I'd feel like I was ripped off. I guess waiting for CES will not kill either of us. ------------------

[This message has been edited by Bulldogger (edited 09-10-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.