AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help....

If money was not the issue or concern, and one's primary motivation in purchasing a projector was to enjoy as ultimate of a picture possible between these two models, which one would fit the bill?

Thanks so much for your input and advice.

Ian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, but my purchase decision will not be determined by the cost of either projector.

The desire to purchase the best projector image, is what will ultimately be the determining factor.

Thanks.

Ian

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
then get the RS25.

Because something will trump both within 6 months...and so on...and so on...and so on

and lets be realistic. will you be able to tell the difference between the RS25 and RS35 besides price?

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
If cost is no object, you're in the wrong forum. It just seems odd to narrow your decision to those two projectors, where one streets for double the price of the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry If I came across as money being no object, I really didn't mean that. I have however set aside $10,000 to buy my first projector. As such I have narrowed my decision down to these two units.

So I am prepared to spend the $10,000 on the JVC RS35/HD 990 but if the Infocus SP8602 is going to be half decently close, or more of a WOW factor I would be happy to save the extra $5000.

Thanks again for your input.

Ian

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have seen an rs20 and an benq w6000.

The rs series will perform better in low apl scenes (most films) and the infocus will likely perform better in high apl scenes (sports).

IMO, you choose based on what you will watch most frequently.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H /forum/post/18274127

So I am prepared to spend the $10,000 on the JVC RS35/HD 990 but if the Infocus SP8602 is going to be half decently close, or more of a WOW factor I would be happy to save the extra $5000.

Ian

Cant you do that with the RS25?

Your room will be the biggest determining factor whether you can see a ANY difference between these two units. Put them both in a less than ideal viewing environment and you might as well be watching a $1000 projector.

Bottom Line: projectors cant perform miracles! source, environment, setup, and a variety of other factors play huge roles in final image quality. If this means spending the $5000 in some other area that does improve image quality then do it! Or if you just want to believe you're getting the best, spend the most money.

Only spend money where it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You didn't mention your screen size. If you go very large such as 10 -12 feet wide, you need to go for higher lumen projector.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Ian,

Go see some projectors. Unless you have $5000 that you don't need or want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our screen size is 10 ft in length.

The room it's going in is our Living room, in which we are in the process of converting it to a bat cave, covering walls and ceiling with black velvet.

We watch a lot of movies on Direct TV, very little sports.

I wish there was a store you could go to and sample with your own eyes the different projector your interested in.

Buying a projector is a size-able investment, so I want to do as much homework as I can, so I am not disappointed or have buyers remorse after our final purchase decision.

Just trying to gain as much perspective and insight into our purchasing journey.

Thanks for all your guys help and input.

Ian

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H /forum/post/18274993

I wish there was a store you could go to and sample with your own eyes the different projector your interested in.

I'm pretty sure with a $5000 variance in your disposable income you can fly to anywhere in the world to see projectors.

Better yet, just pay a consultant to tell you what's good and you don't have to leave your couch.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
With the money you willing to spend, ask the dealer to bring the projector to your house for demo. Make sure you ready your room first so that you get a feel how it would perform in your house.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good suggestions, yes I guess your right, I could fly anywhere to see them, but I have to admit when ever making a substantial purchase, I really enjoy the research aspect of finding out all you can about what ever it is your purchasing.

For me the research is half the fun.

Thanks for all your willingness to help me in my research phase of my purchase journey.

Ian

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg /forum/post/18273708

then get the RS25.

Because something will trump both within 6 months...and so on...and so on...and so on

and lets be realistic. will you be able to tell the difference between the RS25 and RS35 besides price?

Yes. If you have them side by side.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
I think Tryg is right on with the RS25 suggestion then. You can learn to appreciate that projector and take advantage of everything it offers (with the changes you are making to your room) before you target $10K+. You won't be disappointed, so I think that's a great way to get a lot of performance without laying down excessive money on this.

If I'm correct, the DLP bug hasn't bit you, so you are at an advantage to start out with LCoS and love everything about it.

Also, if DirecTV is your primary movie source, please consider a Blu-ray player as part of this investment- you'd be shortchanging any projector if not.

Best of luck with your room!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
If you are comparing between a high end LCOS based machine (ie. JVC DLA-RS35) and a DLP, there are better DLP's that are more similar in price. Take the Runco LS5 (Planar PD8150)...overall one of the best under $10k and in many ways better than the Infocus.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H /forum/post/18275156

Good suggestions, yes I guess your right, I could fly anywhere to see them, but I have to admit when ever making a substantial purchase, I really enjoy the research aspect of finding out all you can about what ever it is your purchasing.

For me the research is half the fun.

Thanks for all your willingness to help me in my research phase of my purchase journey.

Ian

You said you enjoy the research, yet you haven't seen one in person at all? I don't know where you live, but given all the buzz that JVC is creating in the front projector industry, it's hard to believe that you can't find a dealer close enough to your area. Like others mentioned, if you have that kind of disposable income, I doubt there is no dealer or installers out there in your neck of woods that don't want your business especially in this economy. There are a lot more good options out there, under $10k, than just the Infocus and JVC(although I'd probably go with the JVC, if I have that much cash to burn).

·
Registered
241 Posts
You have found this forum and will soon become obsessed with your home theater.You will be blown away by the image on Blu-ray on whichever projector you acquire.Sit down with a pitcher of AVS koolade and enjoy the addiction!If you don't have unlimited resources,buy the $5,000.00 JVC from Jason at AVS because the koolade will force you to upgrade sooner rather than later! You will not be able to resist!
JB

1 - 20 of 37 Posts