Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some feedback/opinions.

Its time to move on away from my MC-1, it is a little long in the tooth, and with new formats and switching capabilities on units half its price, I am itching to jump into a new world of Home theater.

Right now, I am looking at the B&K Ref 50, and possibly even a MC-4. Honestly though, after being a Lexicon customer for 15 years, I just am not that impressed with their stuff anymore when you factor in their price points. They seem to be a little "name struck" about their product, even when processors 1/2 of Lexicons price sound as good in some instances. I originally got the MC-1 based on the L7, but now there are other processors using the 7.1 mode. I am not knocking the Lexicon product, just that the bang for the buck isn't there any more.

Thats not to rule out trading up to the MC-4, but with only 1 dealer in town, the trade up offer was not even worth my time.

Bottom line is there are a LOT of choices out there in the processor market, and I am not up to date on any of them.

I have read about the Sherwood and Outlaw, and I'm not really looking in to those.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The next steps up from the Sherwood and Outlaw would be the Parasound Halo C2 and Athem AVM20 and newer D1. The MC-1 might be getting a little old but it still could be a keeper unless the new processing formats like DPLIIx is driving the "upgraditis". As for video switching, I prefer to keep that chain separate. So unless something like DVD-A or SACD are of interest, or the inputs are insufficient, I doubt I'd be upgrading.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
You have really got to check out the new Arcam AVP700 processor. It is an amazing unit in every way. For the $, it can't be beat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd
The next steps up from the Sherwood and Outlaw would be the Parasound Halo C2 and Athem AVM20 and newer D1. The MC-1 might be getting a little old but it still could be a keeper unless the new processing formats like DPLIIx is driving the "upgraditis". As for video switching, I prefer to keep that chain separate. So unless something like DVD-A or SACD are of interest, or the inputs are insufficient, I doubt I'd be upgrading.

I imagine the newer units have upgraded processors, along with much improved bass management and other improvements. If its one area I felt the MC-1 was weak, it is in the bass management area.

Its the "other" improvements like THX Ultra2, Neo2, better processing, etc that drive me towards another unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.