AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I can`t choose the right sub woofer because I have nowhere to listen it. By the way I am living in Europe.
Need essentially/basically the woofer for music. Maybe sometimes I would like to watch movies too, but its not so important. I don`t have at this time amp, but I think in the future I will connect it to Yamaha A-S501.
But first its gonna play together with Microlab solo 7c.
1. First woofer is
SVS PB-1000 price 549 EUR

2. Second woofer is
Polk DSW PRO66wi price 499 EUR
I saw in this forum that SVS sb-1000 is good to (price 649 EUR).

Which sub got better performance and why?

I don`t trust 10" woofers, but reviews are talking another.
SVS sb-1000 is little bit too expensive for me.

Sorry for that I can`t add links, because I am new (if I post 5 times in this forum I can add links).

Best wishes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi!
I can`t choose the right sub woofer because I have nowhere to listen it. By the way I am living in Europe.
Need essentially/basically the woofer for music. Maybe sometimes I would like to watch movies too, but its not so important. I don`t have at this time amp, but I think in the future I will connect it to Yamaha A-S501.
1. First woofer is

2. Second woofer is

Sorry for that I can`t add links, because I am new (if I post 5 times in this forum I can add links).

Best wishes!
I correct my post, because I don`t find where I can edit my post.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I correct my post, because I don`t find where I can edit my post.
I vote for the SVS sub - they make some of the best subwoofers imaginable, and you will be very satisfied. I'm not a fan of buying subs from large brand name speaker manufacturers, mainly because they usually only go boom and aren't musical at all. SVS subs are very musical, with the ability to stop and start on a dime and truly play notes other subs would not be able to.

Reactions: TomC1315

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
POLK SUB: The customers over at Crutchfield liked the sub. Even Amazon had people that were pleased. The ones that gave bad reviews seemed to be from it dying too soon.

SVS: Lots a good positive reviews on the SVS. And testing. You cant go wrong with the SVS.

As far as sound, Maybe the Polk will have some advantage. Maybe not. But I would be worried about the ones that had it failed in a short time. Just do as I did and google DSW PRO 660 wi reviews. I couldnt find any 3rd party reviews, only consumer reviews.
If you dont like the 10 inch, then save up and get the 12 inch SVS.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Whether you will be pleased or disappointed in a subwoofer is closely related to the volume of your room, if it is open or closed off to other rooms, and what you seek in a subwoofer. For instance, how loud do you play music or movies? Reference or concert hall levels (over 100 dB peaks)?

I also believe you are limiting yourself with an integrated 2-channel amplifier and not looking into the future. I’d be looking for an AVR capable of 5.1 playback.

As far as Polk is concerned, they are not known for making good subwoofers. I’m not saying this model might not be good, I just don’t know. I haven’t been able to locate a professional review on this model. And looking on the Polk website is frustrating. They give no dB parameters in their frequency response, so one really won’t know how deep this 12-inch driver sub can play. I doubt you’ll see anything much deeper than 30 Hz with good SPL. Now, take a look at the SB-1000’s (sealed 12-inch driver) or the PB-1000’s (ported 10-inch driver) specs on the SVS website. It tells you a whole lot more, because SVS isn’t trying to hide anything. The PB-1000 is a more realistic comparison to the Polk, since both are ported subs.

Again, whether any of these subs are the right choice, depends upon what I stated in the first paragraph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I choose that 2-channel amplifier because I like stereo sound more and want add only deeper bass. The second thing why I choose stereo is that i think I can buy better quality music for less money.
This is my opinion. 2-channel amplifier and same price 5.1 channel amp whit a lot of inputs and dac sounds different. About that writing a lot of reviws. And I don`t have so much money to buy a expensive AVR.

Red99 - Maby u propose some good AVR or better sounding amlifier. Before I thinking about Marantz PM6005 but its cost more and look so cheap in closer look, and its a little weaker/fairer.

PB-1000 is better choice because its going deeper Freq.Response 19-270 Hz ± 3dB vs SB-1000 24-270Hz ± 3dB
And both power is the same.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I vote for the SVS and I would also go with ported over sealed for the greater output capability if you ever contemplate using it for movies, otherwise I would go with the SB2000 to preserve your low frequency extension if you insist on sealed. The SB1000 is definitely intended for cramped spaces, not extension or output.

I am using a pair of SVS PB10s that are the older analog version of the PB1000. Very smooth bass, well defined, extending to slightly below 20Hz. With SVS, every design seems optimized, no need to guess if the speaker itself sounds OK other than confirming it matches the listening space.

I suppose you are limited by budget or else you would be considering more expensive options so presumably the size of the room is immaterial to you. For reference, my room is 12'x14' and open on one side to the rest of the dwelling, and the bass is fine in here. Then again, I am not looking to rattle anyone's dentures either. Even the PB10 has virtually no output at 14Hz near the lower limit of hearing and infrasonic output is so small it is unlikely to elicit any tactile visceral impact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About loudness say that I don`t listen loud music very often. I like if I heart deep bass on Low volume to, not only then when volume is so high that my ears falling down.
And about my room, its small about 16 m2
That is usual livingroom in that house where I live.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hi!
1. First woofer is

2. Second woofer is

Best wishes!
Are you sure on those prices? Normally sealed subs are cheaper than ported. It seems odd that you have the SB-1000 priced $100 more than the PB-1000! SVS web site they are the same price for the 1000, then after that, the 2000 on up the ported version is more than the sealed version. http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/view-all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure on those prices? Normally sealed subs are cheaper than ported. It seems odd that you have the SB-1000 priced $100 more than the PB-1000! SVS web site they are the same price for the 1000, then after that, the 2000 on up the ported version is more than the sealed version.
Yes, you are right, I made a mistake. SB-1000 cost 549 EUR but glossy SB-1000 cost 649.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
^ That was a very informative review. I always follow Jim Wilson’s reviews, and many were happy to see the comparison.

Yes, sealed designs can usually extend lower, but the price you pay is output. Sealed designs have a more shallow rolloff than ported designs, while ported designs have the greatest output around its tuning port, as the graphs suggested. In other words, there isn’t much point of going lower if one can’t feel or hear it.

Both ported and sealed designs will take advantage of cabin (room) gain, which will help boost the output. It’s just that sealed designs will benefit more do to its rolloff characteristics.

Reactions: ChromeJob

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Congratulations! Let us know how you like it once it is setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts