AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just moved into my new house. I am going from a dedicated home theater with rear projector onto 110" screen to a 52" LCD setup in the living room.

Not too thrilled about loosing my home theater but the new house is great.

One of the new problems I have run into is having my A/V devices placed under the TV. In my old theater they were behind the viewer in a stack. In my new house I have my receiver, cable box, switch etc.... under the TV on shelves built into its free hanging stand. Everything fits okay and gets plenty of air, however I never realized how bright the displays on some of these devices are. It is very distracting and non of them have a build in dimming feature. The A/V switch is very bright.

My initial plan is to get some window tint and cut it to fit. I need to do some testing to see how this will impact the remote signals. Most of the IR receivers are in the same window as the read out. I may need to cut out small circles where the IR receivers are.

I think this will be an okay solution but I was wonders what others have done. I'm sure there are many people who have meet with this.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think I would try building a door for where the components are that has a middle section made out of that perforated stuff you see on some higher end stands.

Something kind of like this look:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I had a piece of glass custom cut for my cabinet. It's 'smoked' and IR signals usually get through without a problem. Especially from straight on.

As long as you don't go for too high level of tint, you should be fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the stand I have. I like the openness of it. I am going to attempt the tint on at least my A/V switch. It is insanity bright blue. The IR receiver on it is also housed where the power button is so I don't have to worry about covering it up.

Thanks for they reply's though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You could always take it apart and un-solder the LED connection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.