AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search but probably put in the wrong keywords.

I would like to put in remote controlled lighting but control it with an IR remote eg Phillips Pronto. I cant find any IR light switches. What part of the link am I missing?

RF to IR conversion?

What are you guys using to auto dim the lights when the PLAY button is hit?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
THe Lutron Grafik Eye is IR capable and probably the most popular lighting controller if you can afford the price of admission.

A six zone four scene controller (3106) will run $600+. Lesser units will be somewhat less pricey.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I second the GE. Its the perfect thing for a Theater room. Mine goes to different scenes when I hit play, pause and stop.

I believe the spacer system can also be operated via IR at less cost but also much less functionality.

IMO lighting control and nice lighting effects are a very large part of the home theater experience. Therefore, $600 is not that much to spend on a key component -- much like an amplifier or processor.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Mc
THe Lutron Grafik Eye is IR capable and probably the most popular lighting controller if you can afford the price of admission.

A six zone four scene controller (3106) will run $600+. Lesser units will be somewhat less pricey.
I bought my 3106 for $300, still in the box. Ebay, and Home theater forum classifieds are your best friend in this arena. I second/third the notion that either the Lutron GE or Spacer systems are the way to go.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ebr
Robertmee -- you are the king of top-notch HT components on a budget.

We're not worthy...
necessity is the mother of all invention...In otherwords, when you're poor, you have no choice :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use a Lutron Spacer for my sconce lights, and a Pronto. When I hit pause, the lights go up, when I hit play the lights dim down, if I hit play again, the lights go out. When I hit system off, the lights go up for 4 minutes, then dim down and go up again, along with a beep, as a warning and stay up for 1 minute. Then dim a bit, wait 15 seconds and dim a bit, wait 15 seconds, then go off. The warning is nice, because it is really dark in there with no lights on. I also can walk out and leave the lights on, knowing they will turn off shortly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks evryone for the info. Just what I nedded.

Is installing the system fairly easy?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just RTFM (ReadTheFreakinManual) easy.

And do a search for Dennis' "Two Box setup".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.