AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a Sony VAIO with Power DVD to power a NEC XG750. I am new to HTPC. When I first power up projector and computer the Windows Screen is very bright with brilliant blue background etc. However, when I load the movie the pic is a lot dimmer than before! I am running at 1024x768 and the movie is 16x9. Should I change any settings or is this normal? Do I need to reconfigure the input on the projector for 16x9? I guess I could check this out by simply running the Svideo out of a DVD player into the projector and check out the brightness from this input. However, I don't want to have to move all of my equipment around if someone knows a quick answer.

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
DVD is shown on overlay which has its own brightness, saturation, gamma (if Radeon video card is being used), contrast, hue, and tint and separate from your desktop image and color control. VMR is more limited in color adjustments than overlay but also is separate from the desktop video controls. Thus, have you tried to adjust PowerDVD video controls? I would start there.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree with Huey. I had the same exact problem when using Theater Tek for the first time. My ISF Tech had used a different application when setting up my PJ the first time. After he left, I invited some friends over, and I started TT to watch a movie. The movie was dark. I knew it didn't look that way when the ISF Tech had left. Problem turned out to be the brightness and contrast settings in the DVD player (Theater Tek).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have not retried this with the projector but with the regular monitor. There is a color profile selection in the configuration screen for the Power DVD. It does allow for a "bright" setting that does make a difference on the monitor. However, that is the only control I have found so far. Should I be looking elsewhere such as in the video card control? Thanks for your help.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Most video cards also allow overlay video controls from its "advanced properties"; however, I would use PowerDVD's overlay control first as it's easier. Under "Video" tab of PowerDVD XP (4.0), it has Vivid, Bright, Theater, Original. You can also click on "Advanced" button on the lower right hand corner of the window to allow customized color adjustment and screen adjustment (resolution change and video deinterlace mode). Click on the "Color" tab to bring up the sliders for brightness, color1 (tint), color2 (hue), contrast, saturation. You can click on "New" to name and save your custom adjustment for easy recall later from the initial "video" window. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's where I was going. Check the powerdvd (or whatever dvd sw you use ) and jack up the gamma if it's too low. If it's too dark in divx movies use the divx tab for the post-process settings to adjust accordingly.

For some reason, pc's just play movies darker... something to do with they handle contrast or something. I can watch a movie thats a little dark on my pc monitor, then on my htpc and my mits 65" hdtv I can't see jack it's so dark. ??

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
It's all about proper calibration of your video overlay. The color profile settings in Powerdvd butcher the image and should be ignored by serious videophiles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.