AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Frame Packing Mode (3-D BD) will become available in June over hdmi 1.3.

Full blown hdmi 1.4 later, requires hardware, not upgradeable.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Is this device meant for the consumer market at all? I went to the website, and it appears that this device is actually for commercial use. I'm guessing this thing is going to cost a fortune. If somehow this is also for general consumers, and it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount, then it's definitey an awesome solution. Now, the big question for everybody that owns a Samsung 3D Ready plasma - circa 2008,2009 - will this thing take the field sequential format, and convert it to checkerboard and output it at 1360 x 768 ? If not, Samsung 50" inch plasma owners are still SOL.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18290676

Is this device meant for the consumer market at all? I went to the website, and it appears that this device is actually for commercial use. I'm guessing this thing is going to cost a fortune. If somehow this is also for general consumers, and it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount, then it's definitey an awesome solution. Now, the big question for everybody that owns a Samsung 3D Ready plasma - circa 2008,2009 - will this thing take the field sequential format, and convert it to checkerboard and output it at 1360 x 768 ? If not, Samsung 50" inch plasma owners are still SOL.

It will be cheaper to replace your TV then it will be to buy one of these.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Yeah, I think they sell for around $2k, could be wrong though. This sounds like more of a solution for cable, satellite, or web streaming provider.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I've also discovered that scaling an already existing 3D signal is basically a no-go, so it won't work for me. As a Samsung 3D ready plasma owner (PN50A450), I'm basically screwed. Nothing external is going to work because of the need to scale the resolutions. It's simply not going to work. DAMN.

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18297533

I've also discovered that scaling an already existing 3D signal is basically a no-go, so it won't work for me. As a Samsung 3D ready plasma owner (PN50A450), I'm basically screwed. Nothing external is going to work because of the need to scale the resolutions. It's simply not going to work. DAMN.

With a fancy box like this, which is 3D aware, you can scale 3D signals. It will basically extract the left and right images, scale them separately, and then re-assemble the target 3D format at the target resolution.

But that might not be necessary for you. Nothing is stopping BD player manufacturers from supporting additional 3D formats, besides the HDMI 1.4 ones. I would think that at least Samsung will include support for their older 3D TVs. We should know within the next two weeks.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus /forum/post/18298381

With a fancy box like this, which is 3D aware, you can scale 3D signals. It will basically extract the left and right images, scale them separately, and then re-assemble the target 3D format at the target resolution.

But that might not be necessary for you. Nothing is stopping BD player manufacturers from supporting additional 3D formats, besides the HDMI 1.4 ones. I would think that at least Samsung will include support for their older 3D TVs. We should know within the next two weeks.

I actually emailed DoReMi, and they said that their box will not scale 3D. The said that scaling 3D is very problematic. I wish I still had that email, because they explained it more technically then that, but I already deleted it.

As for Samsung, yeah, it's pretty much the only thing I can hope for. Either that, or a PC based solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts