AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll preface by saying I don't know much about electrical stuff. I do know my electrical light switch for my 'home theater room' (in reality a retasked spare room) is on the same 'circuit' (unsure if that's the right term) as the AV equipment in the room. Meaning that if I switch off the circuit breaker power to the electrical light switch for the room, the rest of the room also loses power.

Given this, how much trouble would I get myself into by swapping the light switch for a dimmer in the room? Noise? Interference? Would this cause any noise on my speakers, subwoofer, ect? RF emissions interfering with remotes?

Or perhaps none of the above. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
You mean your switch for the room light also controls an outlet that you have your AV plugged into? If so, you should not replace the switch with dimmer. The AV load may damage the dimmer and it is not good for them to be subjected dimmer output. Is this a table lamp that is plugged into a switched outlet?

·
Banned
1,556 Posts

Quote:
Given this, how much trouble would I get myself into by swapping the light switch for a dimmer in the room?

slim to none.

If the dimmer produces RFI, it doesn't matter if it's on the same circuit as the AV equipment or not.
Quote:
You mean your switch for the room light also controls an outlet that you have your AV plugged into?

I don't know where you got that idea, his explanation is pretty clear.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1522585/dimmer-noise#post_24484462

You mean your switch for the room light also controls an outlet that you have your AV plugged into?
No. I edited my post for, hopefully, further increased clarity on the matter.

Sam, thank you, it's good to know I don't have too much to worry about.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John4721  /t/1522585/dimmer-noise#post_24484996

No. I edited my post for, hopefully, further increased clarity on the matter.
Got it
Quote:
Sam, thank you, it's good to know I don't have too much to worry about.
I don't know why Sam said that. There is definitely a chance of interference from the dimmer. Complaints like that are routine. Whether the dimmer does that depends on the dimmer and your AV gear. It is easy enough to try though assuming you know enough to do the work yourself. Make sure to buy the dimmer locally so that you can return it if it does create noise. And get a brand name product like Lutron. Be sure to test it at all settings. Also look for the filament in the bulbs making noise..

Of course make sure your lighting load is designed to be dimmed. Normal bulbs are but many fluorescent and LED bulbs are not dimmable.

·
Registered
21,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1522585/dimmer-noise#post_24485608

There is definitely a chance of interference from the dimmer. Complaints like that are routine.
I wouldn't say "definitely" either.

The better answer would be... maybe it will, maybe it won't. Slap one in and give it a try. Complaints are only routine from those that have problems.

I would agree that buying a "better quality" dimmer is a good idea.

FWIW... I have two dimmers and neither interfere with my A/V gear.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1522585/dimmer-noise#post_24485888

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1522585/dimmer-noise#post_24485608

There is definitely a chance of interference from the dimmer. Complaints like that are routine.
I wouldn't say "definitely" either.

The better answer would be... maybe it will, maybe it won't. Slap one in and give it a try. Complaints are only routine from those that have problems.

I would agree that buying a "better quality" dimmer is a good idea.

FWIW... I have two dimmers and neither interfere with my A/V gear.

Turn on your receiver's AM radio with the dimmers on!

·
Registered
21,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass  /t/1522585/dimmer-noise#post_24486221

If you're referring to the OP, he has to install a dimmer first.

If you're referring to me... why? I have no hums, buzzes, pops, pings, static, etc. with TV's and audio gear when one or both dimmers are in use.

And since I don't use AM radio, it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1522585/dimmer-noise#post_24486351

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass  /t/1522585/dimmer-noise#post_24486221

If you're referring to the OP, he has to install a dimmer first.

If you're referring to me... why? I have no hums, buzzes, pops, pings, static, etc. with TV's and audio gear when one or both dimmers are in use.

And since I don't use AM radio, it's a non-issue.

Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this. Doctor Ratman says, don't do that. Here is my bill for $300.00!

RFI is radio frequency interference.

Your cure for RFI is do not use a radio (AKA AM radio).

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
Why are you continually taunting me?

Using your suggested method, I should try an AM radio and see if my dimmers are causing a problem that interferes with nothing else in my home and replace/upgrade them?

I don't think so.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1522585/dimmer-noise#post_24486587

Why are you continually taunting me?

Using your suggested method, I should try an AM radio and see if my dimmers are causing a problem that interferes with nothing else in my home and replace/upgrade them?

I don't think so.

No, I said that a dimmer will interfere with AM radio reception. What RF frequencies do you think that dimmers interfere with? My 2.4 Ghz router does not get RFI from a dimmer. Does that mean anything at all?

Per your own words, you do not consider AM radio to be part of your AV gear. You do not use AM radio, therefore you do not have a problem with RFI. That is a very scientific observation that has no basis in reality.

Either your dimmers create RFI on AM radio, or they do not cause RFI on AM radio.

Dimmers in my house do not cause RFI on AM radio because I do not use my dimmers when I listen to AM radio. The dimmers also do not cause RFI when I use the dimmers when I do not listen to AM radio. Therefore, dimmers do not create RFI.

How do you like those Ratman logic based scientific conclusions?

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
Stick to the subject at hand.

I will ask again. Please stop trying to start an argument with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts