AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the advanced video settings menu of my Hitachi 51G500, there's a "Dimmer" setting (on/off).

All it seems to do is make the picture brighter when on. The manual says "Turn ON the dimmer to reduce picture contrast and brightness automatically when viewing in a dark room.

I'd seen other people mention having contrast around 35% - but my settings seem "best" with contrast/brightness around 50% for both. When Dimmer is "ON" (and the picture therefore brighter), I can live with contrast around 35%.

I'm just concerned about "driving" the tubes too hard and causing premature wear-out. I don't use non-stretch picture modes (why buy a widescreen to get bars on the sides?), and I don't play video games or leave static images on the screen.

Suggestions? I've had the set about a month (got it new), and its past the break-in point. I've tweaked color and such using AVIA and DVE and are satisfied with the picture quality until I can get the unit ISFed.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
When DIMMER is on. Your user setting for contrast goes out the window.

With just about any ambient light, the set will display at 100% contrast when DIMMER is on. When it is completely dark, contrast is about 50% on DIMMER.

I use the DIMMER at times, but I have tweaked contrast in the ISF menu to produce more desirable results. Don't use it unless you have decreased SUBCNT in the ISF menu (I run it at 05).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I pretty much run with it *off*, but wanted to make sure (since it was on by default).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.