AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe the wrong forum but I'll ask. Just purchased a MX-600 remote and looking for a light dimmer switch that will operate either RF or IR, preferably RF.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Lutron's Spacer and Spacer System work via IR and are fairly affordably as far as quality remote control dimmers go. If you have more than one bank of lights to control, you need the Spacer System version of the dimmers...the "normal" non-System version of the Spacer is designed for a straightforward one dimmer setup. If you're ever in doubt as to what you're looking at, all Spacer System dimmers use product codes starting with "SPS" vs. "SP" for non-System stuff. Also, with the Spacer System, the dimmers support up to 4 different lighting scenes, giving you a little more pizzazz and flexibility.

FWIW, I use a Philips ProntoPro remote to program and control my two SPS-1000 1000W Spacer System dimmers--I was able to find a .ccf file at www.remotecentral.com so I didn't have to buy the optional Spacer System remote.

Spacer Products:

http://www.lutron.com/spacer/singlel...p&device%5Fid=

Spacer System Products:

http://www.lutron.com/spacer/SpSyste...p&device%5Fid=

Spacer dimmers can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Spacer System dimmers and components are usually only offered at higher end lighting stores and places like www.mmlighting.com online (great prices, by the way).

Lutron also offers the RadioRa RF system, but it is appreciably more expensive and really geared towards whole-house applications where there arren't any pre-run control wires (but people have used them in theaters, of course). I have no idea if the MX-600 would integrate well with a RadioRa system, so caveat emptor.

http://www.lutron.com/radiora/

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Excellent post. I would only add that Lutron make the Grafik Eye which also can be controlled via IR. It is more expensive than the system spacer but much less costly than a Radio Ra system. It works very well with a IR remote. In fact all of Lutron's IR codes were developed for this unit. But it a very attractive industrial design which you may prefer to the system spacer individual wall dimmer solution.

Alan

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
PCS Lighting makes some excellent dimmer switches as well. You can pick up an intro package: 1 Dimmer Switch, IR to X-10 Receiver, and a Programmer for $99 from homeautomationnet.com. Each dimmer switch can remember 16 different lighting settings, so you can create scene lighting with 2 or more banks of lights and they respond to X-10 commands. I am using 2 Dimmer switches, and 2 slave switches to control all of the lights in my theater. I have been very happy with them. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
PCS makes a pretty cool power line controllable dimmer. But they are not inexpensive and I would be that the Grafik Eye would be about the same cost and I think its better looking. System Spacer would be much less expensive. But alangsk is correct. You should look at PCS lighting. I posted the address on the " what's new at CEDIA " thread.

Alan

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lespurgeon
I make my wife run over to the wall and slowly dim the house lights. Best remote in the world (grin).
I got me a Lutron Spacer, MY wife has better things to do when the lights go down.:D :D

Gus

P.S.

I reeeeaaally hope she doesn't read this. I may wind up watching movies with the lights on!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.