AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's finally time to move the theatre to the basement. Why the sudden motivation, you ask? We're selling our house. Go figure.

We're uprooting and moving from Eastern Canada down to Henderson, Nevada. As exciting as that it, I'm a little sad that I never got to take advantage of the great basement theatre potential we have here.

We have an open house for realtors this Sunday, and so I am being forced to make this room look nice ASAP!

Follow along if you'd like, and any suggestions you have to offer are greatly appreciated.

By the way, the projector is an Epson 1080 Home Cinema. Love it.

Sound is just a 1000 Watt Panasonic HTIB. Video comes mostly from my PS3. All of this equipment will likely stay with the home if we get the right price.

Let the fun begin!

·
Registered
739 Posts
My suggestion: Don't bother. Just clean it up and move all the stuff out.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I hope you have the week off, all supplies purchased, and a lot of caffeine on hand!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Suggestions needed on this:

I'm posting the two colors I'm working with.

What I was thinking was using one for the ceiling and top part of the walls, and one for the bottom part.

I'm just undecided on which one for the top and which for the bottom.

My wife had the idea of doing one on the ceiling, front and back walls and one on the sides...I don't know about that.

One pic is flash on, one is flash off.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I decided to do the blue/grey for the ceiling...not sure yet if I should do the whole front wall in it and the rest of the walls in the tan or just do half way down in the blue/grey all the way around the room.

They aren't the colors I'd pick for my dedicated theatre, but I got they do look pretty nice in person. I'd have done black on the ceiling if it was going to be my permanent theater.

Anyway, I'm going out for a few hours - still open to suggestions on what to do with the colors.

Thanks for checkin it out!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19569714

I'm not feeling it.

I've never liked mixing browns and blues - maybe some repressed childhood garanimals trauma, who knows.

Try this for some ideas of what works well, in terms of traditional color theory:

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's not a bad idea, Big. How much of the other color is generally good to mix in?

The biggest question here, really, is color placement...side and back walls in the brown or just the bottom half all the way around...

By the way, the colors do look a little nicer in person than on the camera - as always. The camera seems to make them a little more harsh.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdholmes /forum/post/19573311

That's not a bad idea, Big. How much of the other color is generally good to mix in?

I did my mixing with Photoshop by painting one color over the other then fading it for the desired effect. Mixing the actual paint will be a little different. Of the two I did I like the blue added to the tan.

Take some plastic spoons and put 5-10 spoonfuls in a suitable container. Then add just one of the other color and mix, keep adding until you get a desired color, counting the spoonfuls you add. When you get to what you like you have your formula. Be sure to mix enough of your custom blend so that you never run out mid wall.

Another thing you can do is mix up a custom color and paint a 2x2 paint chip. Take it to Home Depot (I see you are using Behr) and they can put it in their computerized color matcher and mix a gallon or two for your project. I did this when I was trying to get a perfect color for my back seating bar.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Progress shots so far! Still going - talk about a different feel in that room though!

I did take your advice, Big, and mixed a bit of the grey into the brown - just a little. I don't know that it was a huge difference, but the colors do look good in person.

More work tomorrow! Gosh - getting a little tired here.

Need to paint the beam - or skin it with something and then stain/paint that...any suggestions? Ceiling color...side wall color...wood with stain?

This is definitely not my dream theater, but it has definitely given the room a much better appeal...I get my dream one in Henderson.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Of course I had to turn the projector on! I had to test it!

Just pushed pause off a netflix stream via my PS3 and clicked a couple pics.

The first is with a light on in back of the room - projector on 'natural mode'.

The second is no lights on - projector in 'theatre 1 mode'.

I love having a projector.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Why not center the screen, and build soffit around the room, keeping everything uniform? The screen looks a bit off IMO. I for one, can add, soffit can be done in a few hours time. Although in your situation, keeping it simple may be the best idea.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener /forum/post/19591661

Why not center the screen, and build soffit around the room, keeping everything uniform? The screen looks a bit off IMO.

If it were my theatre I would, trust me. I would be doing a fixed screen, too. This is a quick basement renovation to increase the appeal of our home vs. competition in the same price range.

Very budget, so as not to be throwing money down a hole and very fast...that's the idea.

Nice rooms are quick, great rooms take time.

By the way - it is centered between the beam...so when the couch is in place it will look centered while viewing - the couch is limited in placement because of a post...so it works, kinda...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts