1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It's HD according to TitanTV and HDTVgalaxy

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Didn't those guides also claim Air Force one would be in HD? I don't think they are very reliable. I wished ABC would directly publish if a program is going to be HD.

bb

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987
It's in HD and it looks great.
I just called our local station (WBRZ-DT) to see if they flipped the switch. They said they're not receiving the HD signal from ABC.

Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The HD feed for the east coast ABC network is present and has 5.1 audio. If your local staion is not seeing it they have a problem.

Rory

KXTV

Sacramento

·
Registered
308 Posts
After an hour into the show, it started to get weird here in Chicago. I had a perfect signal, but the audio was bad and the picture kept flickering for about 20 minutes. Anyone else had this problem.

Oh yeah, it looked great!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Picture quality was superb in the Twin Cities. Audio was Dolby 2.0. Only one blemish; they kept breaking into the film to show us the NTSC broadcast with graphics showing the winning local lotto numbers!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
PQ is awesome, commercials suck. Here's the first hour:

11 minutes of movie, 5 1/2 minutes commercial.

12 minutes of movie, 6 minutes commercial.

9 minutes of movie, commercial came on at 7:58, I switched to Survivor.

It seems when movies are presented in HD there are more commercials. During Dinotopia last week, the first commercial break came on at 18 minutes into the movie, whereas the last 2 HD movies I watched, the commercials came on at 11 minutes in.

I don't know about you guys, but ABC loses me as a viewer with this many commercials, HD or not. I usually tune in to check out the PQ then tune out during the commercials.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I must say 1080I is definitely sharper but 720P is superior during motion.

It maintains more detail and smoother pans.

Really noticeable during the pans at the beginning in the first picture Kei posted.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad
PQ is awesome, commercials suck. Here's the first hour:

11 minutes of movie, 5 1/2 minutes commercial.

9 minutes of movie, commercial came on at 7:58, I switched to Survivor.

It seems when movies are presented in HD there are more commercials. During Dinotopia last week, the first commercial break came on at 18 minutes into the movie, whereas the last 2 HD movies I watched, the commercials came on at 11 minutes in.

I don't know about you guys, but ABC loses me as a viewer with this many commercials, HD or not. I usually tune in to check out the PQ then tune out during the commercials.
What I do to remidy this situation is to tape the movie and dub it to a different tape minus commercials. It is only after that that I actually sit down and enjoy the movie.

This takes some time but is definately worth it since I am also addiing the movie to my HD library.

bb

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
For me, the sharper 1080i format wins. While the Dinosaur 720p transfer was good, it was not a significant step up compared to the DVD on my 55" scaled to 1080i. I have seen plenty of good CBS 1080i transfers that a DVD could not even start to compare, but not ABC 720p transfers.

For most HD sets, 720p will have to be converted to 1080i, so the advantage of progressive scan is not there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SamR.
After an hour into the show, it started to get weird here in Chicago. I had a perfect signal, but the audio was bad and the picture kept flickering for about 20 minutes. Anyone else had this problem.

Oh yeah, it looked great!
I had the same problem in Chicago. I did not notice when it was resolved because my daughters made me switch over to SD broadcast.:(

JT

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
For me, the sharper 1080i format wins. While the Dinosaur 720p transfer was good, it was not a significant step up compared to the DVD on my 55" scaled to 1080i. I have seen plenty of good CBS 1080i transfers that a DVD could not even start to compare, but not ABC 720p transfers.

For most HD sets, 720p will have to be converted to 1080i, so the advantage of progressive scan is not there.
This movie more than any other I have seen absolutely requires native 720p support. I did some switching between 720p and 720p converted to 1080i and the difference was like day and night.

It looks very average when viewed in 1080i but absolutely stunning when switched to 720p.

bb

·
Registered
249 Posts
As far as disney/abc confirming this in HD. If you watch dinotopia last sunday. I think it was Micheal Isner talking about the show blah blah blah then he said stay tuned to see dinosaur in HDTV next week and then it cut to a comercial or dinosaur and stated simulcast in HD

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987

This movie more than any other I have seen absolutely requires native 720p support. I did some switching between 720p and 720p converted to 1080i and the difference was like day and night.

It looks very average when viewed in 1080i but absolutely stunning when switched to 720p.

bb
I played back my Dinosaur recording with ADTV, switched between 720p and 1080i outputs to my 19" PC monitor, could not see much difference inches from the screen :) Granted I don't have a native 720p large screen projection display.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.