AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Was this actually supposed to be in HD? It's standard NTSC here in Fort Lauderdale/Miami.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not here in Houston either. It was even advertised to be in HD

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
We're getting SD here in Atlanta, but DD 5.1. That's something new! Why -7db rather than -4 like everyone else's DD 5.1, per my Denon receiver?

·
Registered
28,706 Posts
Here in Charlotte it's SD, I even called the station to tell them to "flip the switch", so I guess it's not an HDTV program after all! If anyone out there is seeing it as such, please post!!

But I am getting a Dolby Digital soundtrack indication on my old Yamaha receiver. Frank S, what is "lousy" DD2.0? I thought all Dolby Digital was 6-channel sound.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy
But I am getting a Dolby Digital soundtrack indication on my old Yamaha receiver. Frank S, what is "lousy" DD2.0? I thought all Dolby Digital was 6-channel sound.
Actually by lousy I meant horrible/bad not the terminology of lousy as in compression.

Dolby Digital is actually a bunch of different configurations from 1.0 to 6.1. I have seen 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 4.1, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1 and 6.1 .

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
This is an SD film. The FX were likely done that way bcause HD resolution would have been way too expensive for TV.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think it's that cost prohibited to do a three part HD film. Just look at all the HD that is done by CBS and ABC on a regular weekly basis. Also the CGI is already in a higher then HD resolution so that is not a problem either. They would simply shoot it on film and when done transfer it to HD video.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JKohn
Oh well, it was a lame movie anyway.
Yeah, I know what you mean! I watched about a hour of it and that was about all I could take. Know if it WAS in HD I would have watched the whole three part series but as i is I am done with it!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For me it's sporting events and concerts! They both deal with wide angle long camera shots that with normal SD cameras are blurry but with HD they are dead on clear as a bell!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
I don't think it's that cost prohibited to do a three part HD film. Just look at all the HD that is done by CBS and ABC on a regular weekly basis. Also the CGI is already in a higher then HD resolution so that is not a problem either. They would simply shoot it on film and when done transfer it to HD video.
Why would you run your CGI at a significantly higher resolution than what you need for NTSC? Render time is going to go up fairly linearly with pixel count.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
249 Posts
The idiots at my local ABC "flipped the switch" right in the middle for Alias. i guess they dont' have the ability to time shift it or something. I had to switch back to my VHF connection to watch the rest.

This show is as good if not better then all the other "Made for TV(Gullivers Travels comes to mind)" shows. My kids liked to see the dinosaurs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.