AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
And will the amount of commercial time be greater than the program itself.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If the past is any indication, it is not.

·
Registered
690 Posts
According to HDTV Magazine it WILL be....but likewise no one else is reporting as HD.:confused:

Whoops...that's Dinosaur next Sunday (19th)...One too many T Rex's!

·
Registered
716 Posts
shame, would have been cool in HD

Presumably with a production like this that uses masses of CGI effects, it's not just a question of being cheaper/faster to post in SD, but also that the computer generated images would need to be generated at higher resolution if it was going out in HD, would presumably would have increased image generation times exponentially.

Greg

·
Registered
78 Posts
I asked my local ABC affiliate's Director of Engineering this same question.

Here is his reply:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if Dinotopia is going to be be in 720p and DD5.1?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes...Dinotopia will be shown in HDTV: 1080i with DD5.1.

Peter Dennant

Director of Engineering

WVEC-TV/DT

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI: HDTVGALAXY shows ABC programming as 720p, but our local affiliate is broadcasting in 1080i. The reason being (hope I get this right) is that most HDTV owners in our area do not have the equipment to process 720p.

Credit Peter Dennant with the info on Dinotopia.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Widwi
FYI: HDTVGALAXY shows ABC programming as 720p, but our local affiliate is broadcasting in 1080i. The reason being (hope I get this right) is that most HDTV owners in our area do not have the equipment to process 720p.

Well that's completely wrong. They may broadcast in 1080i for some reason, but it's not the one stated. I don't think there is a single STB out there that can't receive 720p and convert it to 1080i.

It is true that most HDTV owners cannot view 720p "natively"....but that's a completely different situation. The national feed is 720p.....so if they are broadcasting in 1080i they are converting it prior to broadcast.

Chris

·
Registered
180 Posts
the old panny won't do 720p side-convert..it downconverts to 480p

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R8der

Well that's completely wrong. They may broadcast in 1080i for some reason, but it's not the one stated. I don't think there is a single STB out there that can't receive 720p and convert it to 1080i.

It is true that most HDTV owners cannot view 720p "natively"....but that's a completely different situation. The national feed is 720p.....so if they are broadcasting in 1080i they are converting it prior to broadcast.

Chris
I looked back through the thread where the 720p to 1080i conversion was explained. Sure enough I didn't get it completely right. I guess I should have been more specific about "equipment".

Anyway, I was just trying to provide some information regarding Dinotopia in HD.

Here's an excerpt from his explanation.

ABC transmits a 720p signal to WVEC. Because most consumer sets have a native 1080i display, we made the decision to "side-convert" to 1080i. The reasoning is that our Astro SC-7033 standards converter does a much better job making the conversion than the ones found in consumer sets.

I apologize for the confusing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am in DFW and to my knowledge the local ABC convert 720P to 1080i. By the way, my Zenith and Sampo will do both just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.